add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it bad to have a power supply which is too powerful?

SALIGIA

60 months ago

I plan on this build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/6pWTqs

I plan on adding another GPU at some point, probably double the memory if needed and want room to overclock if I decide to. Im not sure how much extra is necessary for overclocking but I have been told 750W will be enough. But as there is little difference in in price of the 750w & 850W of the PSU that ive found, I thought i might as well go for the 850.

Is this a bad Idea for any reason?

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

No bad reasons at all. Your PC will only consume the power it needs. 850w will give you some extra longitivity too.

BTW, that 850w is an awesome choice. I have the exact same one and couldn't be happier.

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Good point.

This?

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

That ones good, though very expensive

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • -2 points

An 850W would be just fine considering the low power usage of the 980s. I know for a fact that with a 3960X cpu that's overclocked, two 290s will only pull a bit over 600W max and that's total system usage but it is also measured at the socket so efficiency isn't accurate. Here are some power consuption benchmarks showing them.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_980_sli_review,4.html

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

the 850 will be fine as youll be adding another gpu.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thank you.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you both. The 1000w was a little out of my price range. I was only just able to afford the 850w. It will be a while before I can get a second gtx 980 so I will deal with that as it comes. Hopefully the 850w will suffice.

All on order now. Just the monitor to research as I'm undecided on the one on the list.

First build.. Very excited!! :D

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not get 8GB of RAM as you will do fine with that, and get a better Motherboard? (I know it's about the PSU, but it bothered me to see 16GB of RAM for $100 when you could'v got a better mobo with money saved on RAM. I can't use U.K. currency symbol so I just put $.)

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

What MoBo would you have used? I was told a cheaper one would suit my needs. Nobody has really mentioned It before. The memory I would like to keep as Star Citizen Is 8GB minimum at the moment.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA 1150 for $135 for it's reliability and quality. But keep in mind that any part can be delivered DOA. You could even get 2 of the same kind of part that had defects, but I just consider that bad luck, especially if it's from a well-reputed brand like Gigabyte or MSI. (Gigabyte and MSI are good motherboard brands. XFX and Sapphire are good Video Card Brands. EVGA is a good PSU brand.)

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for the advice. I have actually ordered it all now but I will bear it in mind if I am unhappy with the card for any reason. Hopefully it wont blow up and kill my family! :P

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

750 is enough , but the 850 is a great deal on that same lineup.

Great power supplies made by Super Flower.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are running a fully loaded system, make sure you panel when your receptacle is not overload, it may trip a breaker ...

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you check the watts for your power supply. Below link will analyse your build required watts

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

So for the necessary requirement you can choose.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I think that was the same link I used to check in the end thanks.

• 60 months ago
  • -1 points

A PSU can never be to high of a wattage for the most part. That is a good quality PSU and i have no doubts that it can handle 2 980s. Doing a little wattage math a system like yours with 2 980s would consume about 770-830 on full load. That EVGA can provide 850w CONTINUOUS so there should be no problems although a 1000w PSU would last longer under such load requirements.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

"Doing a little wattage math a system like yours with 2 980s would consume about 770-830 on full load" where do I find this "watt per system" folks talk about??

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats about the same as I worked out in the end too.. about 830w with 2 980s.

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know to be honest. I used an online calculator thing. I'm pretty new to this as its my first build. Going by recommendations mainly.

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes i did account for the 980s using 300w each even though i have never seen one go that high. I went to this website: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and without the video cards selected it said that you could get away with a 201w PSU with everything at FULL LOAD. Since that site probably just looks at maximum TDP and adds them together i left out the 980s and added them in manually later with 300w per card which is a total of 801w's of continuous power with everything in the comp at FULL LOAD.thats why i said 770-830w power needed. Even that was a fairly conservative analysis, meaning it is more in the realm of 225-250w per 980 at full load reducing the needed wattage by 100w. So more realistically he is right where he wants to be with 2 980s with the whole system requireing 701-751w on full load.

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube