add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Managing dust

weydot
  • 63 months ago

How do each of you manage dust using air cooling (maybe also those water cooling cpu system) with any case you have?

• Did you maintain positive internal air pressure, but have to contend with excessive fan noise
  • Did you find a case first then add aftermarket dust filters?
  • Are the original dust filters good enough so only those have to be blown off or is there any accumulation of dust inside even with those filters?
  • Since video cards come with their own fans, how easy is it to clean those off? One card that has a fully sealed graphics cooler (fan sucking air from within case, then blowing out the back) would be a big pain to clean. And blowing dust out with can of air might not be effective due to it's design.

Most of the cases I've looked at don't have much details on how well dust is handled. I did manage have a look at a few of the Corsair cases at microcenter and it seems somewhat reasonable, but of a few of the non-corsair smaller cases didn't have much in dust prevention. I live in a dusty environment and what concerns me most is not how many times I'll need to blow out my case, but how it'll affect my CPU and Video card heat sinks and fans. I've built a few systems a long time ago and I had a few times where the CPU overheated. Replacing the CPU fan was doable, but it would eventually fail again. I would like to prevent dealing with this issue.

I'm leaning towards the Corsair 780T because of its abundance of dust filters, but it's excessively big. I would like to build using a bitphenix prodigy M, but I'm not so sure about dust management. I've read it has a dust filter, but then as I mentioned above, I'll need a strong fan to maintain positive air pressure which would cause it to be excessively loud.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 4 points

You can't prevent dust from getting in your case. I have my front 200mm intake fan filtered and still get dust build up. Maybe not as much as if it was unfiltered. It's just something you can't prevent but can reduce. Dust will always find a way in. The best way to clean dust would be to use an air compressor. Since I don't have one. I actually and I'm dead serious. I take my case in my car to the gas station down the street from my house and pay 75 cents to use the air pump and completely blow the dust out from the case. I take off the side door and back panel and just blow all the dust out and it works. I do it once a month. Sometimes one every 2 months depending on how lazy I am and if my wife is going to complain and call me a nut for doing that. Small compressed air cans are OK too but run out FAST and not as strong as from an air compressor. I also have a small duster on my desk to dust the case time to time. Makes me feel better. hehe.

This is a picture of my rig after getting back from the Gas station. http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad319/elite-celica/my%20studio/TRG/IMG_0001_zpsda27d956.jpg

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll give your idea a try. Hauling the system to a gas station is even more incentive to get a smaller case. Thanks.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow..That's actually pretty clever..Think I may have to start doing this, thank you.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Just get a big 200mm fan in the front. It's a good way to maintain good case pressure without having to turn the fan up to a very high RPM. If your intakes are filtered, you'll be free of dust inside.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I used Positive pressure in my build. more fans pushing air into the case than fans pushing air out.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/PzWXsY

I found a case Enthoo Pro that already had enough filters built in everywhere.

If the dust filters are not fine enough, I will simply wrap them with women's nylon stockings which is a common trick.

My video card EVGA GTX 980 when installed has the 2 fans facing down towards the PSU so it's not a problem for dust.

check out the videos on the Enthoo Pro, it has a lot for $99. there are some things I wish were better but for the price it was good. 2 filters on bottom. The top cover has a filter, and the front cover has a filter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc

Although I like the looks of the Enthoo Luxe better (LEDs), it is way too big for me and the extra features I did not think warranted me spending more money.

Jayztwocents also prefers positive air pressure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NYHC3DXynM

I would not pay money for those expensive compressed air cans. I have a small sized air compressor I keep in the room. Got it for $50 off $99 on big sale at a big box hardware store and it came with the hose and nozzle.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube