add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I am a complete NOOB can someone help me!!

chiragthebuilder

57 months ago

I don't know much about building a computer. I have just started getting into this. I would really appreciate it if somebody would explain me about the different parts of a computer. Also what are the basics that i need to know about building my very own pc.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

The basic/essential parts of a PC: 1. Mobo (short for Motherboard) 2. CPU (Central Processing Unit); note: MOST CPU's come with their own Heatsink and stock fan 3. GPU (Graphics Processing Unit); this is your Graphics Card/Video Card 4. PSU (Power Supply Unit) 5. RAM (Random Access Memory) 6. Optical Drive (you need it to install an Operating System) 7. Storage (either SSD or HDD ---- Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive 8. Chassis (Computer Case)

The Mobo is like the "mainframe" of a PC. Basically the "brain" of the PC. All other major components somehow interact with the Mobo. The CPU is like the Cerebrum or the Cortex of the brain. It processes all input signals and transmits output signals to the other major parts of the computer to tell them what to do (depending on the input ----- input being what you type, what buttons you press, etc etc). The GPU is like the Parietal Lobe of the brain. It's major function is to process visual information. Now, all motherboards do come with a very simple integrated GPU (or else you wouldn't be able to see anything on your computer monitor....), a DEDICATED GPU differs from an iGPU because it is much much larger, and it was built specifically to process visual and graphical information ----> dedicated GPU is much much better than an iGPU. The PSU converts AC (alternating current) power from the walls into regulated DC (direct current) power for the computer to use ---> all of your computer parts need to be powered to work ---- obviously. You know the plug that you plug into the back of the computer and into your wall? The "plug in" in the back of the computer is from the PSU. The plug in can generally be found at the bottom of the computer. RAM is like Short-term memory. It is a type of storage, a very very SPECIFIC type of storage. Everytime you turn on and use a computer, you use RAM. When you turn off a computer, RAM essentially "de-activates" because it only stores data SPECIFIC to the timeframe that the computer was on. What RAM does when it is "active" it stores whatever information that was opened and used. Whenever that information is accessed again, RAM will allow you to access those programs and information again FASTER than they were initially opened up. Example, the first time I use Microsoft Word, it will take a few seconds for Word to pop up on my screen. Well, with RAM, the NEXT time you go and open up Microsoft Word again, it will open up FASTER. And do remember, RAM "de-activates" every time you turn off the computer. It refreshes itself and the storage is wiped. Optical drives read ROM files (DVD/CD). You need an optical drive because you need to install an Operating System onto your computer ----> Windows 7 or 8, etc etc. HOWEVER, you can get OS installation on USB flash drives instead of using the CD, so really Optical Drives aren't really necessary given your circumstances. You need Storage for all of your files and program; this is probably the most obvious component. The Chassis (computer case) is like the skeleton of the of the computer. It holds all of your components safely inside. A chassis comes with most likely 3 standard 120 mm fans. Two fans in the front. One fan at the top back of the computer case.

To be as thorough as possible when building a PC, watch these 2 videos:

Step 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxnUJQhFZs Step 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWkH_8b1Q9Y

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks bro that really helped me alot!

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Also can you tell me the main features of a MoBo cause the only main things that i could find are the no. of pcie slots, sli and crossfire compatibility, sata ports usb 3 ports, socket type etc.

I would like to know whether there are any other features besides what i have told above.

Thankyou!

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Mobo Houses memory slots. Most mobos have 4 slots unless you go atx mini. (Just a smaller motherboard How much ram it can handle 8, 16, 32, 64 and what type of frequency it can handle. 1333 mhz 1600mhz (Recommended) 1866mhz and more Sli/Crossfire is having multiple graphics cards. Crossfire is amd and Sli is Nvidia. You can look at if it has usb 3.0 ports. This website shows whether parts are compatible but check if the cpu has the same socket type. Intel i5 4670k= lga 1150 socket. Thats just some things im probally missing some things as well.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

oh yeah completely forgot about the ram slots thanks bro

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube