add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
TheStonedAlchemist

57 months ago

So I'm thinking that I want to make a home server to host servers for games like Minecraft or Space Engineers, but I've got no idea how to go about choosing parts for it.

Budget - ~$1500 USD

OS - Windows 8.1

Peripherals - None

I'm just curious to how building a home server differs from building a PC. Thanks!

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, since both of those games can run dedicated servers under Linux, a great, cost-effective solution looks something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $259.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI H61M-P31/W8 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $39.98 @ Newegg
Memory PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $135.90 @ Amazon
Storage Mushkin Chronos 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $179.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $80.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $80.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card PowerColor Radeon HD 5450 1GB Video Card $9.99 @ Newegg
Case Raidmax Atlas ATX-295WB ATX Mid Tower Case $19.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $53.00 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer $13.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $874.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-20 11:48 EDT-0400
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Is a GPU something that's actually a necessity for this? I assume not seeing as the one listed is $10. Is there any advantage to having one vs not?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

The GPU is necessary to use a monitor; I just used the cheapest possible solution since there will be no strain on graphics when running dedicated servers (they don't render the game for you on the server PC; that's left up to the client PCs' hardware).

You actually can run linux servers in "headless" mode, i.e. without a monitor attached, and then you just SSH in over ethernet and control the computer from a text-based terminal interface. This is a good idea for two reasons - cuts costs since you don't need some components, and helps the computer focus all its resources on running the dedicated servers instead of the GUI. On the other hand, it is a bad idea because oftentimes doing work in the GUI is just simpler for inexpert users like you and me.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I see, I figured that I'd just use the MoBo onboard video, forgot that the processor actually has to support onboard video. Thank you!

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Processor does not have to support onboard video in some chipsets, but on this chipset yes you are correct.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I do not understand something. I have seen on Home Servers like this where people use a 5400 RPM HDD. Why?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

5400rpm HDDs are oftentimes the cheapest way to add a crapton of storage; they are usually somewhat less expensive than the 7200rpm models that are usually recommended for your standard PC's HDD.

This can sometimes be a major pitfall for a server, though, if it needs to serve up or write data to/from its HDD really fast. This is actually the case with voxel-based games like Minecraft or Space Engineers, so the SSD included provides you with a server platform that will have no trouble reading and writing from the drive at great speed, thus enabling you to provide top-level performance to the people accessing your server.

The 5400rpm drives in this configuration are set up to act as backup drives (NOT IN RAID 1) - you store identical SSD backups to each drive, using a synchronized backup program like synkron, to ensure that if anything goes wrong you will be able to recover your server world without issue. This is an absolute must for any professional-level server; when I ran my minecraft server we suffered near total data loss many times due to power outages and other unforeseen circumstances. When I was running synchronized backup, this ensured that no matter what, I would have at least one uncorrupted, recent version of the server files to fall back on. If you're not paranoid, you can probably reduce that down to just 1 backup drive, but I included 2 since I think it's a great way to spend your money within this $1500 envelope.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. This really helped me understnad that :P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube