add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HTPC Suggestion required (price AUD$ 1000 - 1300)

pgemail

64 months ago

I am thinking of making an HTPC with the following configuration

1- FLAT Case that can sit below my receiver, picked earlier Fractal 605 but it can only take slimline bluray and I need to reduce the motherboard to mATX. Then I though of using Silverstone LC13B-E-USB3.0. I think this can take full ATX even with the Bluray

1. Need a SPDIF output

2. i5 or above processor or equivalent AMD;

3. Bluray player (may be writer as well); Do we need separate graphics card for Bluray or the build in with the motherboard is sufficient;

4. 8gb RAM

6- RAID 1, 2x2TB storage

7- 250 Gb SSD

8- 650W Power supple

9- Decent Motherboard else combination of good motherboard with additional sound and graphics card and this ties back to do I need a separate graphics card for bluray player

Help will be appreciated.

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $205.00 @ CPL Online
Motherboard ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $132.00 @ Centre Com
Memory Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $95.00 @ Centre Com
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $139.00 @ Centre Com
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $93.00 @ Centre Com
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $93.00 @ Centre Com
Case Silverstone LC13B-E-USB3.0 (Black) HTPC Case $125.00 @ CPL Online
Power Supply Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.00 @ CPL Online
Optical Drive Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $85.00 @ CPL Online
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1036.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-20 06:57 EST+1000

If you aren't going to use a higher grade dedicated GPU, 650W is too much.

And yeah, an i3 or a Pentium would suffice, too..

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Mate

It came very close to what I have in mind. Some questions if you may respond

1. Do I need dedicated graphics card if I am using the Bluray to play movies, I was told by the shop in the area that you will need a dedicated graphics card and built in motherboard graphics will not be able to play;

2. Can we fit this ASRock full ATX motherboard on the Silverstone case with the Bluray; again I was told that I need to have mATX as ATX can't fit if I have Bluray;

3. What will be your view on AMD's AMD A10 7850K,FM2+/4GHz 4MB with Cooler;

4. Do I need any additional fans or coolers;

5. I should be able to use Single 8GB RAm instead of 2 x 4GB or are there are reason to use two;

6. What about the CPU Intel Core i5-4690/3.5Ghz/6MB/LGA1150;

7. Can we use http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-optical-drive-bh16ns40 instead as it is similar price but have more software bundled as well;

8. Now I have the configuration and if you confirm that it will work for the above, then how do I order, is it that I need to order them separately or someone can assemble them together and dispatch. New to this site, not quiet sure how the end product as packaged is delivered.

Thanks again for the help.n Love the site.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem, I'm glad to help. :)

1)I don't think so, if they're talking about integrated graphics while APUs and similar CPUs weren't that so popular, then maybe, but nowadays, APUs are fast enough for usual HTPC tasks.

2)Yes, the case's compatible with mATX & ATX boards(with a BluRay drive installed). And yeah, ATX dimensions are 305x244 while mATX dimensions are 244x244, so if an ATX one blocks it, a mATX one will block it, as well.

3)It's a pretty good APU, you can probably get a similar gaming performance by getting the Athlon 740/750K/760K + R7 250 for less money, so yea..

And yeah, while we are at AMD APUs, I'd say that one of these(like A8-5600K) would be more sufficient for the HTPC, it's cheaper and it should have no problems doing usual HTPC taks.

4)Optional-the case comes with two, pretty silent fans, so you won't need any more fans, except a CPU cooler, if you want to make it more silent.

5)You might profit from dual-channel support(2x4GB), but the difference is barely noticeable, so it doesn't really matter.

6)Very good CPU, overkill in this case, tho.

7)Yes, ofcourse.

8)Yeah, they seem to be compatible and it should work fine. PCPP only lists stores and parts, so you might have to ask CPL or Centre Com or an other store where you're going to order parts about that..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube