add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mixing Ram HELP before I buy

Hazarded
  • 69 months ago

I know mixing ram is really bad and can cause the Blue Screen Off death and problems.

But..

Can you mix the same type of ram with same speeds and brand?

Kingston HX318C10FRK2/8 https://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx318c10frk28

and

Kingston HX318C10FWK2/8 https://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx318c10fwk28

Do they work together in a 4 slots or should i just buy the same one type of ram? Thanks for your help. :D

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 4 points

That will probably work. Looks like the only difference is the heat spreaders.

• 69 months ago
  • 2 points

....and the price.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I gave up on price after I decided to start modding. The cost of this doubled more than my budget so I guess I'd rather build something I like to see everyday and not just something that I have to hide away.

• 69 months ago
  • 2 points

I think you have a shot at your multi colored dreams there lol. Looks to me like same ram different heat spreaders.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Not just multi colered but modded and water cooled as well. :P

• 69 months ago
  • 3 points

Ooh, are you gonna post it on PCPP?

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I am but first I have to sleeve the cables, paint the case, and make the psu cover.

• 69 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a feeling it's gonna be great.

• 69 months ago
  • 0 points

DO NOT DO THIS. There are absolutely zero guarantees that it will work. I speak from experience. If you look at the photos of my second build (the h440) you'll see in some photos I have two different ram kits installed at once, one black and one green. They're both Corsair LP 2x4gb 9 9 9 27 kits @ 1.5v. As far as specs are concerned, they were EXACTLY alike. Unfortunately using them together resulted in constant bsods and failure to boot. After troubleshooting and confirming it was the ram, I spoke with Corsair George about it and he said that you should never assume they are compatible because different kits often will use different IMCs and different subtimings that aren't publicly stated. Do this at your own risk.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

lol. calm down. worst thing that can happen is buy another ram.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess I'll just get the same one then. I really don't want to mess up the system and deal with problems once the whole thing is water cooled. :/

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Emailed kingston about it and they say they work together. I also emailed corsair about theirs and they said it only works for their vengeance line, not vengeance pro or lp.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

They will most likely work together just fine. I am currently using 4GB of Corsair ram with 8GB of Mushkin, and I haven't gotten any blue screens or boot fails... don't know what that guy is on about. As long as voltages, speed, CAS are the same (which they are), you should be good to go. Worst thing like the guy said above is them not working and you'll have to send them back and buy new ram. Worth a try at least

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

There's never a guarantee it will, and that's why I tell people not to. Some lines apparently do work together, and that's awesome, but at the least do you homework first and make sure it works, otherwise you'll end up pissed like I was with mine :P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube