add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Using the new 4790k with a z87 mobo

Tahab_1

68 months ago

Hi What would happen if you used the new 4790k with a z87? Will it not boot anything up? I understand that you need a z97 mobo and I also understand that there are updates for various mobos so the new chip is compatible. But what would happen?

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

should work either way.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

So I would be able to access the BIOS if I used the 4790k?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You may or may not need a BIOS update. Do some googling.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I do need one; but that isnt the question :( Basically if I installed the 4790k with the z87 mobo would this not allow me to update my BIOS?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not 100% sure. Do some googling. I'm sure there are tons of threads on this topic.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Not many; The processor just came out :'(

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

make sure you have a flash drive that the motherboard is capable of reading (I had to format my usb stick in fat32 and put the new BIOS on it with the file named xxx.cap for the certain motherboard you will have) Flash the BIOS and start up the cpu to put windows on it. Easy bro. Ill walk you through it if you need help!

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice man! This is just a hypothetical situation lol, but will the CPU incompatibility even allow the BIOS to load?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Absolutley. THe BIOS is built into the motherboard I believe, not the Processor.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds Great :D But hopefully I wont run into any problems with my upcoming build :D Thanks for the help bud.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

It was never a problem. I have read tons of reviews on the 4790k and I don't know if I will transition from the 4770k just yet. I can overclock mine to 4.6ghz right now and am stable to play games and whatnot. I have read of people overclocking the 4790k to 4.8ghz and staying stable so I am not sure waht I think about the new chip. Let me know how it goes. I would have to go above 1.35v on the processor to see I could remain stable.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

For me those overclocks are tooooo risky; I dont want the build to die on me in the first 4 years; I need it to last lol, well at least until I graduate Uni and make a stable living.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube