add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU for this build?

Tahab_1

67 months ago

Hey guys what GPU can I use with this build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tahab_1/saved/kMCD4D

Preferably a gpu that is good for video editing as well as gaming; high end games. I also need the GPU to be high end as well my budget is from any price up to £350//$587.60. I was thinking about the r9 290/x but with my budget maybe I can get better? Thanks!

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

It really depends on what editing applications you're going to use. If you're on Adobe CS6 you want Nvidia. Adobe CC you'd be able to use either, but AMD would perform better.

I'm not sure on other applications like Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas, or HitFilm 2, but if they support any kind of GPU acceleration, then there will be information about AMD vs. Nvidia and which GPU from either one to pick.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, thanks for the reply; I'll be using Photoshop, After Effects, Sony Vegas and some Cinema 4D

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Cinema 4d and after effects are the most demanding listed. Any high end card will do well on those. You already chose a good i7 and nice ram, so your all set

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

For After Effects you will want an Nvidia card for GPU-accelerated ray tracing. Currently neither CS6 nor CC supports AMD. Which sucks since OpenCL (AMD) performs better than OpenGL (Nvidia) in Premiere Pro CC.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think I should go with an r9 290x? Even though I get a slight disadvantage?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go with a GTX 760, 770, or 780 if your monitor is 1080p60Hz. If your monitor is higher than that (120Hz, 144Hz, 1440p, or 1600p) I'd go 780 or 780 Ti.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

The 780 is over my budget, and for the gaming performance I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of performance drops for editing; I think I may go 290x for this one.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Final cut pro is for macs

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

And many gamers dual-boot a Hackintosh because they like it better for editing. Horses for courses.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I dislike Macs with a passion, never ever will I be associated with a mac.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I wont be using final cut anyway.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Those people should smack themselves for not seeing the inferiority of the app vs others available without crapintosh

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

That's the best you can get for that money. There's really only the absurdly priced titan black and 295x2 that can beat it. It's on part with the more expensive 780ti

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

So I should stick the with the non-reference r9 290x? Even if it would give me a little disadvantage with After effects and C4d?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

That disadvantage they mentioned is so minor for your use that you won't notice it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube