add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

750 Watt PSU For r9 290 crossfire?

Tahab_1

67 months ago

Hey guys, I was just wondering if this psu would be safe to run this build. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tahab_1/saved/Y3ZFf7 It would be out of my budget to upgrade the psu... but will I be okay with 750 Watts if the PC will run at 748?

Updated link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tahab_1/saved/8Vx9TW

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

Oooh you're pushing it, especially with the CX series. It might be ok for a while if you didn't do anything too demanding, but I'd get another PSU ASAP

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

But I was guessing the 748 was how much the whole system would do under stress?

• 67 months ago
  • 0 points

Yeah, but it's still not recommended to be that close to the limit

• 67 months ago
  • -1 points

He's nowhere near the limit. 290 CFX doesn't suck 748W. No 2 GPU, 1 CPU system needs more than 600W of power. The 748W listed takes into account PSU load efficiency.

It's not your power draw; just the PSU wattage that gives you the greater efficiency since PSUs are most efficient between 50% and 75% load.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting find! I look to Guru3d and Techpowerup for my power consumption data. So by your quick judgement, is one of these sites lying?

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

Honestly the thing is that most testing has shown the 290/290x series will consume 300W stock when it's at full throttle. With overclocking I've seen 290x add an additional 70ish watts to that, bringing two of them potentially up to 740W. You'd want a minimum of 850W is what I'd suggest, probably 1kw if you're using an AMD cpu as well and overclocking.

• 67 months ago
  • 0 points

Which is what the manufacturers all recommend also

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

You are definitely pushing it. In Crossfire/SLI I try to get at LEAST 800W. It will leave you plenty of headroom for overclocking and some other small upgrades. But if you decide to add another GPU, you are going to need over 1000W.

• 67 months ago
  • -1 points

What he said.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube