add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Video Card for £250-315 // $420 - 530

Tahab_1

67 months ago

Hey guy,

So basically I'm making a build (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tahab_1/saved/4HLO) but I'm I'm not to sure about the R9,290 I've heard more negative than good reviews and most of then point to high temperatures and high and loud fans, so what other options do o have? I want to run the high end games at over 60 fps and need the gpu to be future proof, if it helps with photo and video editing that would be great too, I usually prefer amd but I'm open to all options, and I'd prefer if the gpu was more towards the £300 - $530 area.

Thanks in advance to any replies

Taha

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

A R9 290 is only loud and hot if you get a card with the reference cooler. Get an aftermarket cooler, and it'll be great. Your other options would probably be a 780 or 290x

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

See because it's loud and hot; it's more likely to die quicker; I need this thing to last me... is there any other alternatives?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

No, only the stock cooler is loud and hot. If you get an aftermarket card, like one from Asus, it'll be perfectly fine. Also, Powercolor's PCS+ cooler is insanely good.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

hmm, how about this: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's fine.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help :)

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131548&cm_re=powercolor_290x-_-14-131-548-_-Product

With that non-reference cooler it will run cool, review's show anywhere from 61°C- 74°C under full load. Not to mention that card is only $425 after the discount and the rebate. you really cant go wrong. Also as far as these being loud, I find that to be untrue.

Alternatives would be what he said an an nvidia gtx 780.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I've heard bad things about PowerColors, how about this one: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II It's not as loud or hot... but I am really frustrated at how overpriced this build is in the UK; do you think I should order certain parts from the states? Or will customs fees and Shipping make the price around the same?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a good card as well. Unfortunately I can not project how much customs fees would be. If I were you I would email the website and ask. It may end up being cheaper.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers for the advice :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube