add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GTX 750 TI water block. has EK lost their minds or are they brilliant brilliant

Watchful
  • 71 months ago

I've no intention of insulting this manufacturer and when I ask if they're stupid it'll be rhetorical or tongue in cheek.

So. Is EK stupid? Are they brilliant or do they know something we don't. They've provided a gpu water block for a GPU that does not need one. Not just that it doesn't need one but renders the buyer looking foolish for buying it.

I don't believe they are stupid. The backlash from such an obvious insult could turn the potential market against them and cripple business. That to me leaves that they know something that we don't. If that's the case, what could that something be?

The post may seem silly or smell of conspiracy but it's not. I've noted that I've been telling a number of people what a ridiculous waste of money the purchase would be and I want to know if I'm really right for doing so.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

A water-cooled 750 Ti could be useful in a small case with a custom that has minimal airflow, This could be used in an InWin 901 with an i5 CPU, using a single 120mm fan and radiator for the entire build.

Or in a case with a 240mm top radiator, it could almost go entirely passive and fanless. People will find uses for it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You're not wrong Therfman. People will find uses for it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't even need airflow to cool a 750 Ti though. With the water block, you'd have to route tubing, buy fittings etc. You don't even need water cooling to run a 750 Ti passively. Just get a nice little GPU heatsink

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

So you're saying that if I took an i5 CPU, put in in a smallish case with a Corsair H40 with no other case fans, a passively-cooled 750Ti would still work?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Which case are we looking at here? Most SFF cases have at least some stock fans, and with a decently sized heatsink, you could still make a passively cooled 750 Ti work.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm thinking on an In-Win 901...

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That could work. I recently saw a build in one, and although small, it's not cramped. With only 60W to dissipate, it's really not too hard to cool, provided you have some airflow over the thing. The rear fan maybe? It might get a bit hot, but I doubt it'd fry

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The 750ti has a TDP of just 60 watts, which is paltry in terms of heat to dissipate. You could probably passively cool it without much difficulty. Put into perspective, this is 5 TIMES less than a 290x and 1.4 TIMES less than haswell iirc.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You aren't wrong, but you aren't right. People can spend their money however they please. So you would be right in saying you're wasting your money since your GPU clearly doesn't need the cooling. On the other hand a lot of people just like the look of watercooling and have no care for the performance increases it gives.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I do think it's stupid. A waterblock for the lowest end card is just moronic. That being said, people spend their money on stupid things all the time.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

They're not stupid. More product choices never hurt a business, even if it is pointless. Even then, some people will still buy it, which equals more profit for EK.

With that said, it is a pretty pointless block imo. I really don't see the point in water cooling a card that can be cooled with a passive heatsink. I realize people water cool for aesthetics or noise levels, but that card is quiet enough, and I really don't feel that the need for aesthetics outweighs performance that much.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd do it for a fun project. Heck, it would be a good idea for someone like me since I am incompetent with doing water cooling loops.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I would get and i am think of getting one so i the experience of custom watering cooling for the future.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube