add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build: $3,000-$4,000 for casual gaming / daily personal use

Pandabearguy743
  • 71 months ago

Hi folks,

New user here putting together a build as a sort of "self-congrats" / "time to upgrade from 5 y/o laptop" now that I'm finally done with schooling (I hope).

Anyhow, here's the link to the parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LAtg

Main issues: Mobo / CPU compatibility, will I need to upgrade the BIOS myself or has it been long enough to safely assume the GA-X79-UP4 ships with the right BIOS? Do the physical dimensions actually work and everything will fit on the mobo / in the case.

Side issues: Should I get a separate sound card and, if so, which one? Suggestion on the wireless adapter and cooling system also welcome (but I'd prefer a heat sink, no idea how to install liquid cooling and I only have so much rice if I mess it up but willing to try.)

And, of course, any general comments could be appreciated.

Note: $3,000 is just a soft-cap. I'd prefer no more than $3,500 but am willing to up to $4,000. Estimated life for the build is ~10 years. So things that seem a little ridiculous are partly "justified?" for future-proofing.

EDIT: Updated parts list to reflect comments of AlaxelPC and PhantomTaco (thanks folks).

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 5 points

I'm going to make some comments based solely upon your time frame for the use of this computer. 10 years is ridiculous. I don't care what you put into it. 10 years ago Intel was just getting ready to introduce their dual core chips. Most people were using Pentiums. Video cards from that time period were installed in a slot that isn't even made any more on motherboards. For that matter, you could say the same about the old PATA slots for hard drives. Sata was brand new. Memory was DRS 1 except they didn't call it that. 500GB RAM was a monster set up and a 200GB hard drive was way over $100 dollars. I don't remember the speed of the RAM but it certainly wasn't 1600 or up. And most people start at 8GB of RAM today and have at least a 1TB hard drive. I have two 2TB drives in mine and less than 10% free space on both. 10 years from now I doubt mechanical hard drives will even be used and the SSDs will probably be on their way out too.

I could go on but you get the idea. The evolution in computers and their usage is one of the most dramatic transformations in the world. Desktops for the average user are dying fast outside of the gaming community and/or tech freak who can't build a laptop. Imagine the speed of broadband in 10 years and the likely hood of some sort of cloud storage which allows users to put much of their computer, hardware and software, in the "void". How large and bulky of a computer would you really need at that point? And for gamers, where visual elements rule, instead of ever larger monitors why not small, but inclusive, helmets/screens/visors where the images are right there in ones face and where the movement controls could come from eye motions and the connections to the servers via bluetooth or something similar.

All of these things are taking place right now in various stages of development and in 10 years we certainly should expect some of them, plus others not even discussed today, to have reached the mainstream in price and availability. And we haven't even mentioned what's going on in 3D printing. If you can afford your build then go for it and have some fun. But you wouldn't be using it 10 years from now except perhaps as a door stop.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair point. 10 years is pretty long, very true indeed. That being said, this isn't a build that's designed to be cutting edge for the entire duration.

Sure, I'll update minor bits as needed but I'm basically just trying to get the "best" of what's out the now to minimize the risk of obsolescence. Heck, my laptop's been with me for 5 years and I'll probably still use it for 2 more at least. And don't even get me started on the computers my folks still use haha (just to give you an idea, they started off with Windows 95 and dial-up).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't laugh at your parents. :) My first Windows computer was a 93 and dial up plus a 3GB hard drive. And that replaced a DOS machine with floppy disks, real floppy discs. Heck, I can remember getting my first little AM transistor radio and playing records on a stereo. Black & white TV with 4 stations that all went off at 10PM.

Technology seems to be moving faster and faster. So far problems with miniaturization and heat are being solved. Storage keeps getting larger and cheaper. Broadband speeds, where competition exists, is getting faster, much faster. Fixed phones in the home are basically obsolete except for the elderly who still hang on. Ten years from now? No bets on where we will be.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I would definitely go for a dual GPU build at that budget; I think you would see a much greater performance jump spending the extra few hundred or so on 780s, or even just 770s, in SLI with a cheaper CPU to stay within your soft cap.

EDIT: Oh and also, that PSU is REALLY overkill for your current config, even if you went SLI/Xfire. I wouldn't bother with the sound card unless you're a huge audiophile and are ready to dump a lot of $ into fancy headgear.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Excellent points and thanks for the quick reply.

I was planning to go 2-way SLI later once I got a second monitor and wasn't too sure what the benefit of having 2 vidcards for 1 monitor would've been.

For the PSU, yeah you're absolutely right...I just noticed that there's a Wattage counter on the parts list haha.

I know I want to go 80+ platinum so what do you think about the EVGA 220-P2-1000-XR? https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220p21000xr

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a reason you want platinum in particular? All you're getting is increased efficiency which will maybe save you dollars a year.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That is the same PSU I ordered for my current build, and it will definitely allow you to expand to a dual GPU config in the future. You'll probably hear that it's overkill even for SLI Ti's, but it's always nice to know that you'll have some headroom for whatever the future brings. You can't really go wrong buying a fully-modular 1KW platinum for that price.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Told myself I wasn't going to comment on this, but can't help myself:

For casual gaming? Why do you need that big a budget for casual gaming!? That's like 3 times more than you even would need lol.

But let's glaze over that for now

4930k: Dunno if it's worth it if you're talking about a gaming build, a 4770k or 4670k is plenty and a half.

Cooler: Noctua coolers are a lot of hype tbh. If you want to go with an air cooler, there's a sale over at NCIX for the Dark Rock Pro 3 which is an infinitely better cooler for 65 bucks and it isn't ugly to boot :P.

If you're getting a 780 TI, at least don't get a reference card. Check the EVGA Classified 780 TI or if you want the Gigabyte Windforce version (I prefer the classified personally and have two of em)

Case: 200 bucks for a HAF X is just criminal. The case is super old, not that great by today's standards, and (at least imho) kinda ugly. Look around at some newer cases unless you just LOVE the HAF.

OS: Honestly you should move up to win 8/8.1. Better performance, support for newer versions of directx (which will have big performance improvements in coming updates), and it's just about exactly the same UI wise as win7 (when not in metro mode, which you don't ever really have to use).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel ya on the budget but I'm planning to use for maybe the next 10 years. So in my mind, better to go that much once now rather than half now and in 4/5 years.

CPU: hexa-core for future-proofing mainly. Again, gonna be a long lived machine.

I don't know much about coolers and Noctua heatsinks along with Corsair Hydro kept popping up so I figured, if it's good enough for the general public it's good enough for me. But I'll definitely check out that Dark Rock Pro.

I wasn't planning to overclock so I thought regular 780ti would cut it. Thanks for setting me straight.

Wasn't sure on the case. A buddy has a HAF 932 so I figured it was a good brand/model.

I very much dislike Win 8. Girlfriend's got it and I can barely figure out how to get to the control panel. Guess I'm too stubborn to learn. Gonna stick with Win 7 till it comes to bite me. (kinda like how every small business still runs XP).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I guess if you're talking 10 years I could kinda understand hexa core.

That being said, I'm still very much against the idea of win7. By then you'll no longer be able to play any of the newer games with the features that come out as well as reduced overheads expected from upcoming versions of directx.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair enough. I'll likely grudgingly switch once Win 7 gets really outdated but for now I guess it's just a matter of preference.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Good stuff. Well if you wanted some popular case suggestions to check out.

H440

750D

R4

760T

Enthoo Primo

Air 540

Arc Midi R2

Would also want to probably find a review to read on them. What I like to do is watch an unboxing video on youtube to get an idea of what the case is like in person.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet, much obliged buddy.

Btw, I must compliment you on your builds. They look rather impressive, nay scratch that. "Impressive"'s not strong enough a word. So...at the risk of sounding like a 5 year old at a superhero convention, they look rather awesome.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

i'd change the cpu to i7 4960x make the cooler the corsair h100i and have 2 r9 280x's

also is this a build and setup or just a build?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

4960x isn't worth it. It just has more cache over the 4930k, which really benefits an incredibly small segment.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

also, if you got a sound card i would recommend the creative sound blaster zx

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry... what's the difference between build+setup and just build? I'll be assembling/tetrising everything mostly by myself. I may have a buddy that could help depending on when the parts arrive.

I'm pretty happy with the CPU and video card.

Seems like the built-in sound card is good enough but I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind if I end up getting/wanting/''needing'' one.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

build and setup is build, speakers, monitor and peripherals ect. build is just the pc

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

i modified the pc and added some stuff and some peripherals http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LAHY

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm actually good on the peripherals but thanks for the recommendations! Since I'm planning to use this computer for a while, wouldn't it be better to go with a least a 1K PSU?

Also I plan to get a second 780Ti once I get a second monitor. Do with the longevity thing, wouldn't 780Ti's stay relevant longer?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

even with to 780ti it would only be around 750w so i wouldn't really be worth the extra money

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

i would definitely go with water cooling with an intel i7 processor

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha...I think I'll stick with the 1,000W PSU though. If I go with hydro, would an open or closed loop one be better? Any specific products you'd recommend?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

if you want to try something new and go custom loop cooling then that would be cool, though it is pretty expensive, i would recommend a better case such as the corsair 750d or the 900d, but if not but still want water cooling a definately recommend the corsair h100i. here' a link to a good place to get custom loop cooling: http://www.xs-pc.com/

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Was thinking that you could probably use some faster ram, like the Corsair Vengeance Pro: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a2133c11

It's double the price, but it's a lot faster. Which is always nice.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You know what, that's actually a great point. Unfortunately, with the current heatsink I've chosen (Dark Rock Pro 3) it seems like there isn't enough clearance for the Corsair Vengeance series. I'll be sure to take a look at some faster ones in the G.Skill Ripjaws X Series though.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Faster ram benefits basically nothing. Especially when it comes to gaming.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Given the CAS latency being so high, it's really not worth getting that RAM unless you run a workstation

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

faster ram would be good if you do something like youtube and you render alot of stuff but that's about it

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, 10 year lifespan seems... not exactly a proper lifespan. Well, I got a PC that is 11 years old, though it is pre-built, and it still runs half as good as the day my mom gave it to me on birthday. Heck, my grandmother uses it to get into computers.

I got a build that is roughly $3000 and to be honest, I only expect it to be future proof until 2018 at best. 10 years is too long and I don't think any PC setup can be future-proofed that long since you have to consider the degradation of parts in a time when, based on my observation, nearly every tech made in the era of 2009 and on wards in which nearly everything cannot keep-up with the software demands along with hardware durability/longevity even when babied.

5 years is the max IMO since for all that we know, the future requirements by that time for game developer/publisher requirements may need 6 cores at minimum to play games that are the equivalent of that time to the first Crysis game or CoD 4 requirements.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd advise something like this to give you the best future resistance you're going to buy at this time.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Watchful/saved/4JD9

It's the core parts. Cases and cooling have a bit less relevance. AiO water is likely what you want for cooling. Choose a case with good airflow and give it regular cleanings. Corsair H100i is a good choice. find a case that plays nice with it.
Custom loops are very good but you'll need to spend a bit of time at study first.

I'll make no predictions regarding longevity. Technology is advancing at an ever increasing pace. 2 years from now you're going to be staring at a much different system than you are now.

Trust the people selling you on 8.1. It will grow on you.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

For longevity purposes I would replace the SSD with something like the Intel 730 or Crucial m500.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I honestly would get rid of the 780ti and go with a sapphire r9 290x vapor x edition. Same perforemance for 50$ less plus the cool asthatics. Also I would crossfire it so you wont have to upgrade for another 5 years at least. That would bring you up to 3423.99$. Then I would put 16 gb of ram... http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32400c11d16gab. If your power supply fits it all then you are good. If not then upgrade that for 50 more dollars. This would put you between 3500$ and 4000$ but make it more life proof.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

you dont need $3000 comp for casual gaming...

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I would switch the 780 for a 780 ti

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

if his total budget is 3000-4000? Dude its way underbudget anyway...

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You can actually get a powercolor PCS+ 290x for less than that 780

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube