add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why CS:GO skins are so expensive?

Sumotr
  • 2 months ago

​I cannot understand why CS:GO skins are so expensive. Not only I think spending money on in-game items is pointless but also these skins don't provide any advantages like extra damage or so.​ Just look at these - https://dmarket.com/ingame-items/item-list/csgo-skins​​.

Nevertheless, I can tolerate when people spend $5-$10 for such things, but $300 for a knife that's literally just a piece of code. Are you serious guys?​​​

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Most of the prices are directly related to the chance of getting said skin from cases, which cost x amount of money, and thus require x amount of case openings to find

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes because people enjoy flexing the amount of money they wasted (or if you are smart you slowly acquire better ones over time through good trading practices)

People like to be "cool" and high-value skins, especially knives which are quite rare.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It's based all on luck, and rarity. steam has a whole economy based on virtual items. If you like a game a lot, play it often, you may be inclined to buy one. Not only are the items rare, but the items themselves have rarities. Plus, the trading market allows for some people to make real money just based on items they wheeled and dealed.

As for the point about advantages, let me pose a question. would you prefer a system that allowed these weapons to have those advantages, like extra damage, or better accuracy based on how expensive the item is?

Pointless maybe the word for you, but I tend to disagree. I know people that play csgo a lot that get these items as gifts to the people they play with the most. It depends on the user how much they spend.

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. I just want to see if others can have an open mind on this topic.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean there are literally skins worth upwards of $50K USD.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube