add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows Gaming / Linux Deep Learning - Dual Boot

Al4r1c
  • 1 month ago

First time building here. Getting a top of the line GPU for deep learning (RTX 2080 Ti). Also want to game on it. Going to try dual booting Windows/Linux. I'm giving each their own 1TB SSD so I don't run out of space any time soon. I tried to reduce prices where I thought I could compromise. Would appreciate any comments / suggestions. Will let ppl know how this works out.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Al4r1c/saved/YZ9W3C

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

It's private.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Oops, thanks for telling me!

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

9900KF is much cheaper

dated case

cooler not meant for the 9900KF

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

You might want a higher resolution and/or higher frequency monitor. That GPU will likely be limited (unless doing raytracing) at 1080@144. And I really doubt your eyes will see anything higher than 144Hz anyway, so at least look at 1440 or a larger screen. That GPU is a beast (I was going to not recommend it at all, but it might make sense for deep learning. Then again, any modern GPU is probably good for learning the stuff, then rent an array on Amazon/whoever when you need to do real training).

Have you ever used Linux before? It doesn't take much space on its own, and my Mint install (not including /home) is 8.7GB (home is 34G, but contains years of data and plenty of duplicates). I'd carve a few partitions off one 1T SSD and change the other to an Intel NVMe (or even cheaper device) and store anything big and not needing high speed (videos and steam library) on the Intel SSD. If gaming on Linux (not really recommended if you dual boot), then expect it to eat disk space just like windows gaming.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Great tips yawumpus - thank you for the input! I got overly excited and ordered everything already, heh. I was debating a 1440 screen, so might return the 1080 one I picked out. Certainly the card can handle it. I guess my only reservation was that all the pro's seem to use 1080 for some reason: https://prosettings.net/pubg-pro-settings-gear-list/ Good thoughts on the storage, too. Glad to hear Linux is relatively tiny.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube