add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Using a 4K tv as a monitor

sunjellie
  • 2 months ago

I've always had my PC hooked up to living room TV. I've never had a problem with any kind of lag - I don't play twitchy type games so may be that's why. I recently got a 4k TV and would love to start playing games in 1440p (since my computer can't do full 4k and I can't invest in a new one just yet) but I am finding that I can't play at 1440p and 60 Hz. The most at 1440p is 30 Hz. I realize this may be a TV thing but does anyone have any advice on work arounds? Is there anyway to change the settings in Nvidia - perhaps graphics scaling in Nvidia for games that don't have that feature? Will playing at 30 Hz matter? Any advice would be great - Most of what I've been able to research is at least a couple of year old at this point so may be its not the TV?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If you could leave your TV information that would be great, however, this might be an issue with your computer. Whats your GPU? Is your system older, or even your TV? Your TV might be able to do 4K/2K, but not show at 60Hz. Here is an example of what you might see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re74_0fIUXs

If you are not playing any fast pace games, 30Hz should not be a problem, but 60Hz is optimal.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

What type of video card do you have? Also see if you can change your HDMI input from 1.0 to 2.0, that was something I needed to do to get my TV to show 4k@60Hz (the computer more or less automatically changed to fit the TV).

Another thing was that if you have "high dynamic range" enabled (I doubt your computer does), that might also interfere with the TV's ability to do 60Hz (I know mine can't do HDR 4k@60Hz, but haven't tried 1440p).

PS. Whatever you are using as a GPU (probably just the CPU?) sounds rather out of date. I know my GTX560 couldn't do 4k (although AMD cards of the time could) and that anything since can as well.

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/326815-using-a-tv-as-a-monitor-43-4k-60hz-200 (my experiences using a TV as a monitor).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube