add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

LF True 120Hz TV (42" or larger)

noneanyoneveryone
  • 1 month ago

Hi all. I'm having trouble finding a TV that is 120Hz. Even some that say they are 120Hz end up only performing at 60Hz when connected to a PC.

Anyone out there know of a true 120Hz tv that games at 120fps when connected to a PC?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I could be wrong, but OLED TVs are the only ones with actual high refresh panels you can currently get. All other ones are 'achieving' 60+hz through post-processing like frame interpolation.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That's the problem I keep running into when I think I found a TV. When you read the reviews I always find someone, like me, who bought the TV for 120Hz but it only connects to a PC at 60Hz.

I think I'm going to have to reach out to Samsung, Vizio, LG, and Sony to get a list of TV's that will actually produce 120Hz when connected to a PC.

Thank you for the reply.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I really doubt that the HDMI connector of a TV can handle 120Hz. If it can, it would probably only do 1080 (and nobody is bothering with a high end HDMI connector on a 1080 TV). The catch is that nothing but computers produce 120Hz, and I doubt the next generation of consoles will bother trying. The "120Hz" TVs likely are probably just interpolating frames and likely blending them with a 60Hz output (this was a real problem for people looking for older "60Hz" TVs to use as monitors. But "real" 60Hz is now readily available). I wouldn't look to TVs for 120Hz (unless PC gamers sufficiently influence videophiles. But I suspect that PC gamers are the new audio/videophiles. And they aren't that big a market).

A TV for 4k@60Hz is a great idea, and I've listed my experiences here: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/326815-using-a-tv-as-a-monitor-43-4k-60hz-200

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I figured I would update this thread in case anyone else is looking for a true 120Hz TV. So far, I have not found one.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube