add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheap but reliable custom loop?

Yocracra
  • 2 months ago

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew of any reliable custom loops that are still reliable? I made a loop on EKWB but it was pretty expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper solution? The case has space for a 280mm radiator on the front, and I’m planning on hard tubing with a CPU block and maybe a GPU block if the price is ok. I’m trying to stay within the realm of $150 or maybe $200.

Thanks!

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want cheap just don't get a custom loop, the vast majority of people don't need custom loops. If you are considering a custom loop you either A) have a heck ton of money to spend B) already have a high end system and want to upgrade it C) you already have a low end/midrange system and want to get a waterloop instead of upgrading core components or D) you are building a new pc ground up but are sacrificing on performance to get a custom loop. You should really only be actually considering a custom waterloop for your pc if you fit into one of the first 2 options. It would help if you provided a part list for your current pc/your plan for your pc. If you really need a budget waterloop for some reason (idk why exactly) EKWB has some watercooling kits, you can get a 240mm rad, pump/res combo, cpu block, tubing, and fittings for $270.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

vast majority of people don't need custom loops.

With how modern hardware is there is no actual need at all for custom loop liquid cooling in order to keep your parts cool. There are plenty of AIOs and powerful air coolers that can easily do the job for much less.

you are building a new pc ground up but are sacrificing on performance to get a custom loop.

Yeah agreed 100% if someone has to sacrifice on parts to afford the custom loop then they are totally sacrificing power. Then again it really depends on the buyer. If they know that is what they are doing and would rather invest into the aesthetics of a custom loop without concern on the power of the PC then as long as they know what they are buying it is their choice.

Now water cooling does look awesome but custom loops introduce maintenance that needs to be done. Depending on the type of fluid used in the loop it is recommended to flush, clean, refill the loop every 6 to 12 months. Me for one am not interested in doing that so I am very happy with my over the top air coolers that are more cooling power than I need. Not to mention the air cooler was cheaper.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd search further, but I suspect the answer is "cheap or reliable: pick one". And that "cheap" really won't be anywhere as cheap as a AIO.

Again, CPUs really don't need such cooling. AMD doesn't need it at all (perhaps excluding threadripper), and I doubt Intel needs to go much further than "a really good [possibly air] cooler".

GPUs tend to be another story, but much harder to find proper blocks and require additional cooling of VRMs and memory.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well tbh I was hoping for no one to have an answer. My friend was pushing me to get a loop for a build, and I was constantly telling him we’d go way over budget. I know that the point of custom loops is overkill, but for the parts were using, it’s super overkill.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube