add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help upgrade or new? Budget up-to

SeanOgoD
  • 5 months ago

Need help!! Can I just upgrade parts on my pc or buy a new gaming PC

Hello i hope everyone is well this new year. I have a gaming PC that was built for me about 5/4 years ago and I feel I need to upgrade my setup. My set up is: Samsung 2.5-Inch 120 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive,

WD 1TB SATA lll Desktop SATA Drive - Blue,

Intel i5 4460 Quad Core CPU (3.20GHz, 6MB Cache, 84W, Graphics, Turbo Boost Technology, Socket 1150) ,

EVGA GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5 DVI-I HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card,

Zalman Z11 Plus HF1 ATX/M-ATX Mid Tower Case

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard (1x DDR3, 6x USB3.0, 8x USB2.0, GBE, LAN, HDMI, DVI, VGA)

Corsair Vengeance Perform ance Memory Module 8GB (2

Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Red Quiet Edition Hig.

I want to get a 2 monitor set up now(maybe 3 screen later on)and get it so i can put my graphics to high/ultra. Is it worth just upgrading some parts on my system or starting a new I’m looking for the cheapest route possible please. I’m looking at most £1500-2000. If it is worth just upgrading parts of my system, what parts are best for me to look at?

Thanks

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Samsung 2.5" 120GB SSD. If it is overflowing, you might look at a SATA 1TB drive. That is something you can easily "keep" when you want to replace the CPU/motherboard/RAM. If you decide to change both now, look for a NVMe card (there isn't that much difference, but it is faster and cheaper). Keep even if you "replace": although you might try using it in less orthodox way. If you go AMD you might try to use it as the "fast" half of a emotus combo (presumably with the WD 1TB drive, although don't do that if you want to keep backups on it).

WD 1TB SATA drive. Keep. Even if you only use it as backup (which is something it is ideally suited for).

Intel 4460 i5/MSI motherboard/8G DDR3. These all are replaced together or stay together (although you might consider adding some RAM if you are keeping it for awhile). While gaming has somewhat moved on, I really don't expect a whole lot of improvement from a new CPU+the rest. NOTE: this has zero effect on getting graphics to high/ultra, so I'm guessing it is firmly in the "keep" category.

GTX960 GPU. This is probably still pretty strong. Granted, GPUs are one thing that they can still improve (even if the RTX gpus seem overpriced). You might want to look at some of the AMD (probably polaris, maybe navi) cards, and at least wait to see what is announced at CES. Note that 1080@60Hz isn't all that hard, so I'd look at an RX580/RX590 first (British prices seemed to have recovered their sanity from last I recommended one of those cards).

Case/fans: keep. Neither have had much to change in 5/6 years.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot for those picks they all look wicked. Will definitely have to picking hat on lol

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

To be honest I’ve always wanted a multi screen display for just simple things like having chats up and with steam/discord, maybe to play youtube when waiting for games to load or waiting for a new round to play in CS

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know the monitor name off the top on my head so will get back to you when I get home.

Okay I've had a few friends tell me there are some things I could maybe still use. But I had this built for me so sure about most of this thanks.

I was thinking about selling my old one but unsure how to make sure to delete all the info on there I know how to normally delete the things on my PC but heard a few horror stories recently(Or it's just me being over paranoid.

Thanks

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I have ASUS VE247H 24 inch wasn't the best but did the job. Thanks for the list's.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Just had a bit of change of mind when it comes to pricing i'm looking at a bit more now £1500-2000 if that could help future proof my PC. Thanks

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I do like rgb but it’s not a must. The low the quieter the better.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube