add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is there a huge difference between $1,000 and $1,500ish gaming pc's?

richcarl8
  • 1 month ago

I kind of have two builds going that I'm having trouble deciding between and theres a price difference. Any advice would be appreciated. I will be mainly using it for gaming. I'd like to play 1440p and well above 60 fps in all games on very high or ultra settings. Id also like to make this computer last so I can keep playing new games without having to upgrade any time soon.... not too sure how long that would be. Anyways thanks again for reading and here are the builds. Any If you have any ideas or think one is better please let me know and also if the more expensive one is worth it. Thanks again.

build one: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pNBNp8

Build two https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XWGCwh

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

For higher res 1440p gaming, the better the GPU the better the performance (visual quality/FPS). In this regard the 2070 SUPER is the better card (moderately appreciable enhanced performance with the addition of a more efficient GPU + overall better driver support for games + added bonus: RAY TRACING).

3600/3600X - doesn't matter. If you want the faster chip between the 2 with the moderately improved stock cooler, grab the 3600X. If you want something that runs quietly and delivers pretty much the same performance at 1440p, grab the Ryzen 3600 + a $30/$35 aftermarket cooler.

(note: the second build also adds a 2TB HD hence the cost comparison is lopsided - although there is some offset with the first sharing a more pricier Mesh C case)

The question is how much are you willing to spend? In this sort of price range, something like this has you covered very nicely for 1440p gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $189.99 @ Best Buy
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler $34.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Best Buy
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $78.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Newegg
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card $499.99 @ Best Buy
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P350X ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $83.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1172.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-02 14:46 EST-0500

Areas you may require/fancy spending a little more on:

• Additional HD storage (if your games library exceeds the 1TB limit <10% trim for drive consistency)

• Maybe a more future-proof 8 core Ryzen 3700X. Not necessary and personally i'd prefer the 3600 with an earlier exit plan (UPGRADE) in a few years.

• Your previously selected motherboard offers integrated WIFI. If this is a necessary requirement, you can opt for a dedicated WIFI pcie card for $25-$35. Keep in mind you'll want a "MAX" B450 motherboard for Ryzen-3000 compatibility out of the box.

• Preferably an aftermarket partner GPU for improved thermal/factory-OC/noise levels/etc. Something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xxrYcf/evga-geforce-rtx-2070-super-8-gb-xc-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-3172-kr

• A more premium case or whatever suits your fancy

• A fully modular gold rated (better efficiency) PSU for around $100

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Man! thank you so much for all for that information. Thats really helpful. I forgot that I changed it on my list but on the pricier build I had the ryzen 7 2700x. Not sure how that stacks up with the 3600. Ill probably stick with the 2070 instead of the 5700xt though. Thanks again for your reply

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The 8-core 2700X was going for around $160 incl. a decent heatpiped cooler = excellent value proposition and definitely worthy of 1440p gaming.

What the 3000-series chips do better are those faster single threaded speeds on 6 cores which drives in better potential to scale higher with FPS returns when lowering quality-settings in games (for the higher FPS enthusiast). Even at ULTRA game configurations, the faster 3600 possibly achieves around 5-10fps more (more in some lesser demanding CPU-intensive titles).

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If you find the stock cooler isn't quiet enough, I use an Artic Freeze 34 esports duo ($40) in my fractal meshify c with a Ryzen 3600, and its cool and silent.

Can't help you about the graphics card difference.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I'll keep that in mind! I appreciate the help happy new year!

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

if you're set on those parts, then get the more expensive of the two. the extra storage will come in handy the longer you have the PC, and theres a case for RTX in the future too.

also, you can save about $100 on the CPU by switching to an i5-9400f, since you are only gaming.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I think I'm pretty set on them... Do you see anything you would change besides the CPU? Thanks for the feedback!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QQrmP6/western-digital-sn750-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds100t3x0c I might recommend this as your boot drive, and make that 2.5" SSD into a 2TB for mass storage. aside from that I think the video card is the best performance/value especially for 1440p, I think you selected a reputable power supply that'll get the job done.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Awesome thanks I'll keep that in mind! thanks again for your help

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

On storage.

Unless you're counting every last penny (you're not) or need server amounts of storage (you don't), there's no need to even consider HDD any more: the price difference between HDD & SSD is no longer enough to make up for the shortcomings of HDD.

Small (fast) OS drive + large (slow) data drive is a hangover from when SSD were new and expensive, so it was a good compromise but no longer relevant.

On the other hand, on a gaming PC the difference between NVMe and SATA is irrelevant (the OS will boot a handful of seconds faster and games will load, not play, slightly faster). So your choice is really one of form factor (M.2 vs 2.5") and price ($0.10/GB is achievable).

Personally, I would fill up my M.2 slots first (lose some cables) then add 2.5" as and when needed. You can find 2TB SSD for the same $/GB as 1TB, so ideally that's what my M.2 slots would have, to get the most out of them.

• Only buy as much storage as you currently need: prices are only going one way.
  • Consider 1TB a minimum: these (and increasingly 2TB) are currently the most economic ($/GB) and drives <1TB have lower specs.
  • Research the very cheapest drives carefully to avoid DRAM-less options.

At the sharp end, prices can be a little volatile so today's "best buy" may not be tomorrow's, but these are all worth considering:

1TB 2.5" -Samsung 860 QVO -Team L5 LITE 3D -Western Digital Blue

2TB 2.5" -Western Digital WD Blue -Samsung 860 QVO

1TB NVMe -Crucial P1 -Kingston A2000 -Intel 660p

2TB NVMe -Intel 660p

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you are storing movies or a large backload of Steam games, a slow HDD might come in handy. Even then I'd go with the cheaper 5400rpm 4TB Baracuda (and avoid Amazon thanks to a reputation of shipping used drives). But for most people a 1TB SSD is what you want.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

A few notes: I really don't think that a hyper212 is all that much better than the included heatsink with the Ryzen 5 3600. I'd expect to go much cooler or simply use the OEM.

I don't think you'll see a lot of difference between the GPUs myself. Here are the two head to head (look down to the second set of benchmarks for 1440). https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-vs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-vs-amd-ryzen-7-3700x/ultra/ultra/-vs-?lang=en&currency=usd

Personally, I'd like the HDD (and bump it to a barracuda 4T 5400rpm [slower]) for less money. But that only makes sense if you had previous issues filling up your HDD/SSD. Most people don't.

One big thing that could (depending on your games of choice: Project Cars and Elite Dangerous might as well be killer apps) seriously improve your gaming would be to throw a VR headset into the cheaper list. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an overall winner and Occulus seems to have jacked its price from $400 to $600. One option looked like the Samsung Odyssey+ "renewed" for $280 (the Odyssey+ has some amazing resolution and field of view, plus apparently "enough" movement detection). I'd expect to budget a new sweat gasket/foam though.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Is VR worth it? I was looking into getting the oculus rift S with the pc. Like are there games that dont get boring after playing once or twice? It looks like most of them are relative. And thanks again for the info its very helpful and appreciated.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Completely depends on the game. For a driving/racing sim it is huge, and basically made visibility out of the cars a real thing and made the cars far more controllable (you can "look" around the turns). I've heard similar things for Elite, but haven't really started it. Of course these are both "seated apps", which ignores all the problems of the "roomscale" system that is pushed harder and requires the physical room, hardware, and user all work together to keep the user from falling over or crashing into things.

Other things are more hit or miss, and I'm only getting started on them. But I've been impressed for the most part. A favorite of mine is an exersize app "Hot Squats". Couldn't be more simple. A row of bars (more like blocks) travel toward you and you squat under them. Simple. Simple, but effective.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i like the second one but id go with at least 80+ gold psu and if your playing 4k id go with 32 gb ram

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

yeah Im mainly talking about the cpu and gpu

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Do you think that 3700x will make a big differnece from the 3600x? I might change my storage option you might be right on that. And why did you change the motherboard? And yeah Im having trouble understanding the difference between all the new ryzens just that they cost different. And I saw a video of more fps with a higher ryzen 7 than a ryzen 5. idk

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube