add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU aging and price decline

intrafinesse
  • 2 months ago

At any point in time if you look back 3 years at what was then a very good video card (but not crazy expensive like > $1,000) how much would it cost to get a card roughly similar in performance 3 years later. How about 5 years.

So a card similar to a GeForce GTX 970 today such as the Radeon RX 590 costs around $180. A Radeon RX 580 is around $160. That GeForce GTX 970 when it first came out cost a lot (I don't remember how much). That's going back several years.

Example - A card similar in performance to a GeForce RTX 2080 equivalent in 2023 would cost how much? How about 2025? When do you think it would cost around $200.

I'm not looking for an exact number, I just want to get a rough idea of the price decline in 3 years and 5 years.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Price declines aren't fixed because performance increases aren't fixed.

Last few years prices didn't really change down much for Polaris/Vega/Pascal because of shortages and lack of competition until right at the end of the generation.

Guessing the future is like playing the lottery someone will win, most will lose, rinse and repeat as needed.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

i predict that in 2025 a 2080Ti will cost 150$. take it or leave it XD LUL

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Not the current cards, an equivalent that performs around the same.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Recent price declines have to do with cryptocurrency busts and etherium no longer handing out coins to whoever has the most gpus.

Remember that 20% of recent nvidia performance has been more or less dedicated to raytracing. If you aren't using that you are using 80% of a card.

The rest of the "price decline" is nvidia having to price some of their midrange boards to be semi-competitive with AMD (although the RTX can certainly claim a "raytracing" premium, and all nvidia boards can manage a certain premium as well).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube