add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
intrafinesse
  • 6 months ago

I have never experienced a VR game or demo.

1. Is VR worth trying? (yeah, its an open ended question, what are your thoughts)

2. What equipment would you suggest I start with? Headsets? Other stuff?

3. What games or software do you suggest?

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. Yes, very much so. Its still in its early stages but god damn is it amazing. I started with the phone vr stuff but it was absolute garbage. Then took the plunge and got the Oculus Go and that enabled me to get a better feel. That in itself was immersive but the only way I could use it with my PC was by using a software called ALVR and even than I couldn't play games that required motion controls. Only things like War Thunder or Elite Dangerous. But then I found Driver4vr and I hooked up my Xbox One kinect to my PC and it gave me full body tracking. However it was very slow and wasn't very immersive. I then sold my Oculus Go and got a Samsung Odyssey Plus. Nothing compares to it. The display is amazing, the tracking could be a bit better but for inside out tracking its pretty good. There is nothing else like it. The immersiveness of shooting guys in Superhot VR or doing crazy stuff with Rick and Morty. Still haven't tried some of the more AAA titles such as Asgards Wrath or Fallout VR but thats because I am waiting on my GPU upgrade (getting a RX580 8gb instead of my 1050ti). All in all. It is definitely worth trying, even in its early stages.

2. I would start with the Oculus Quest, it is completely wireless so you can play games on the go or wherever you want. But also they added the ability to connect it to your pc for it to act as a Rift. IMO its your best bet to get into VR and its very versatile. If you are more on a budget then I would look into the Windows Mixed Reality options (which is what I have). A full set is probably about $100 on the used market, which is a steal for what you are getting.

3. I myself like Beat Saber, Elite Dangerous, and Superhot VR. But there is plenty of games and other software. Some interesting ones are Budget Cuts, Google Earth VR, Asgards Wrath, Stormland, Fallout VR, Skyrim VR, Doom VR, Gorn, Pavlov (basically CS:GO VR), War Thunder, and many many more. I myself have a racing wheel and HOTAs so it allows for much much more immersion and I would say if you are interested in racing games in vr or other simulators, then those are a must.

Quick note: Valve is making Half-Life: Alyx. Which is a new Half Life game exclusive to VR. Might be another good reason to join the VR community.

Anyways, hope this helps with your decision. reddit.com/r/virtualreality has some good information if you are looking for more info. Also feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the response and the link.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube