add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the next best graphics card?

zachirl

1 month ago

I currently have a Rx580 and I am looking to get the next best one in the line up. I am not looking to upgrade my CPU which is an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor. Do you recommend that I upgrade my graphics card first or my CPU? Also what is the best graphics card that I can currently run?

P.S. I am looking to start do VR My current build is: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/tyTBD3

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Do you recommend that I upgrade my graphics card first or my CPU?

The GPU!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! What do you think is a good gpu for VR?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Oculus Rift S recommended PC requirements.

V OS: 64-bit Windows 10.

V CPU: Intel i5 4590 / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater.

V RAM: 8GB.

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon R9 480 or greater.

V GPU RAM: 8GB.

V USB Ports: 3 USB 3.0 + 1 USB 2.0.

So anything faster than the above mentioned GPUs would suffice.

And that depends from your available budget. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok, does that mean optimal or minimal? I would like to upgrade my GPU at some point and if I can get a new one that would make VR run better then I think I would go for a new one. What do you think?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Ok, does that mean optimal or minimal?

According to the above specs, recommended means optimal.

I would like to upgrade my GPU at some point and if I can get a new one that would make VR run better then I think I would go for a new one. What do you think?

The RX 580 that you already have, trade blows with a GTX 1060.

If you get a faster one than a RX 580, that would be even better.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks! This convo was very helpful

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

According to the above specs, recommended means optimal.

How does that work? Wouldn't be like assuming such a GPU was "optimal" for a 2560x1440@80Hz monitor (numbers are for Occulus S)? I'd expect a bit more oomph wouldn't be wasted.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

GPU for sure. Maybe a 1660 Super. You can basically put whatever you want that your cpu will handle it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! What is a good one fro VR?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Whats your budget? If you can spend $450 get the rx5700xt red devil.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

how much would that help me out?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It would help you out a lot a rx580 is like a gtx 1060 and then a 5700xt is like a rtx 2070 which is then like a gtx 1080 so you'd get a big upgrade.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

P.P.S I am looking to get an Oculus Rift S

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

(I could also use advice on whether to get this version or a different version)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The powercolor red devil is the best rx5700xt tho it costs a bit more then most if you want to save some money go with the msi mech version.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Rx580 is vr ready so if its just for that you dont need a new card

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube