add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for buget card that can output 4k@60hz

mrlsmithiii

1 month ago

I am finally making the leap to a 4k tv. My current build can only do 4k@24hz so I need to add a video card. I do limited gaming, mostly turn based strategy. This is mainly a media pc. My current build is an AMD A10-7850K in an ASRock FM2A88M mobo. Thank you for your time and help.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I'm assuming your processor can do 60Hz (on your game of choice), but you might want to make sure...

Is the issue that the output (cable or whatever) simply can't drive better than 24Hz? That might be a cable issue. I know that I have to turn off high dynamic range (set the GPU to emit 8:8:8 instead of 10:10:10) and set HDMI to HDMI2 (on the TV side) or I get 30Hz. Also make sure your TV can accept 60Hz, I was lusting over 4k TVs for years but didn't want to get stuck with 30Hz (accepting 60Hz is a somewhat new thing for TVs, and typically an issue of the HDMI input).

But for turn-based-strategy, I'm guessing that moving the mouse is annoying at 24Hz, not the actual look of the graphics. I'd expect that just going to a 580/570/480 (although I'd recommend getting the 8G in case you want to do anything else at 4k) route would make the most sense.

(I wrote this bit with basic assumptions and didn't read "media and turn based strategy". Also some things (probably later Civ games and Kerbal Space Program) are often CPU limited. That CPU isn't going to take awhile for decent AI decisions or heavy math simulations).

new 580(8G): ~$145 (first hit on pcpartpicker). Said to hit 4k@30Hz on not-so-modern fps gaming new Vega56: ~$260 (under $200 used on ebay) I'm using one for exactly that. SkyrimSE does 60Hz (with most of the switches full on), but I haven't stressed it with much new stuff... 1080 (used, buy it now prices on ebay) around ~$300

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. 4k@24hz is the max possible with that APU/MOBO combo using onboard graphics. I have an open pcie3x16 slot to add a graphic card. I have been comtemplaiting adding a new card or starting a fresh build. I am happy withy my pc's performance, so I'm thinking new card for now. I'm not concerned with fps performance on any specific game. I usually have to turn down the resolution in games just so I can read everything. The main issue is 4k videos.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Supposedly, a $70 730GT will do it (https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-730/specifications), but I couldn't find it on the boards specifications.

A ~$90 1030GT will certainly do it (4k@60Hz). I think the current AMD ALUs (2200G/2400G/3400G) are similar to the 1030GT in performance.

Note that with these boards (especially the 1030GT) you almost certainly want to avoid the DDR4 (DDR3 for 730GT) editions (they lose half their performance waiting for slow memory). https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Q4648d/asus-geforce-gt-1030-2gb-video-card-gt1030-2g-csm claims to have GDDR5 in the pcpartpicker stats.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube