add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Audio set up suggestions

StevieG998

2 months ago

Hi,

What additional hardware will I need to make this possible.

I already have a AT2020 XLR Mic and beyerdynamic DT770s 250ohms.

My aim is to have both my Xbox and PC audio come out of the same headphones. I want to be able to talk on discord and hear my console game audio.

Sorry for the vagueness I know very little about audio.

Thanks!

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Assuming you have standard mobo audio, the setup would look something like this: https://ibb.co/t8Q9CH3 Actually, this looks perfect. https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Bluetooth-Audio-Mixer-Professional/dp/B015NBUVE0/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=audio%2Bmixer&qid=1575157417&sr=8-14&th=1

USB input/output, and rca inputs.

Feel free to ask any more questions

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thank you for that. I was looking at the TC Helicon Go XLR which would be perfect but a bit too pricey for me. I think Ill get an optical to RCA adaptor thingo to go straight from the Xbox to the mixer (assuming that would work).

I would've taken me ages to figure out the cable routing but that diagram made it so much simpler!

Thanks.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I probably wouldn't reccomend the optical to rca, because optical is digital, meaning theres a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) in there somewhere, and cheap ones can sound horrible, and expensive ones can be well, expensive. If you are using a tv with your xbox, it almost always has an analog out, which is usually used for like a sound bar, but instead, you can put that to the mixer.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I wasnt aware about the poor quality of DACs, thank you for bringing that to my attention. Im using monitor for my xbox, Im not sure it has an analogue output. It has a headphone jack. Could that work?

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, the headphone jack will work. you will need yet another 3.5 to rca adapter.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Also thanks, that diagram took 5 mins in ms paint. Although using it, more like ms PAIN(t).

Anyways, I'm kinda curious how you ended up with nice cans and mic, while knowing nothing about audio. Hope you figure stuff out.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Its not that I know nothing about audio as such, I probably exaggerated the wording in my initial question. I know very little about mixers and audio inputs/connections ect. All that confuses me. A LOT. Im finding it hard to find something that works. Thats why I mentioned TC Helicon's Go XLR, it has all the inputs I need, looks good and is simple but for a lot more than I would like to spend. If I had that sort of money I would've loved to have gotten the Shure SM7B and Beyers DT 1770's.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Ah I see. Actually, for some reason, it's really kinda fun for me to figure out what input/outputs things have, and how I can connect everything up. It's kinda weird, I know. Basically, heres what you need:

• (1) Mixer with at least
    2 Analog stereo RCA inputs.
    1 XLR microphone input
    1 headphone out
    1 Stereo RCA out

• (3) 3.5mm to stereo RCA adapter cable
    |one from pc out to mixer| one from tv headphone jack to mixer| one from mixer out to pc line in|

• One XLR cable
    from mic to mixer

• your mic

• your headphones

• some way to hold up your mic

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your help!

I'll see what I can find.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube