add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help choosing a new CPU

Mika_360
  • 6 months ago

Hello I do not know much about pc parts so I thought I would come here for some help. I have a CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme GXIVR8020A5 Desktop Gaming PC (Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GXIVR8020A5-Desktop-i5-8400-Processor/dp/B07B6H4GNY). I would like to stay at the 144 fps mark and my budget would be max 500 USD. I would also be open to other upgrade suggestions too.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

It's more likely you need a cooling and graphics upgrade then a new CPU, the 8400 is still a very capable little beast for gaming.

The 580 on the other hand is showing its age.

I would also swap out the cheapo power supply to something higher quality.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought I needed a new CPU because when I looked at my resource monitor my CPU was running at 100% while GPU was running at 50%. (What graphics card would you recommend?)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought I needed a new CPU because when I looked at my resource monitor my CPU was running at 100% while GPU was running at 50%.

Its something else running in the background likely a virus or mining hijacker.

No current gaming titles equally balance load to cores properly so you don't ever hit a true 100%.

One core always reaches capacity first limiting performance.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thank you. Would you agree with subbuguru with me upgrading to a 5700xt and would you recomend the Pure Power 11 PSU? And when you say that I need cooling what should I upgrade? The fans or cpu cooling?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

5700XT is debatable as hardware quality issues and driver issues still continue.

Performance when it works is solid, but it isn't assured that you will get that performance.

I won't recommend it without noting its issues, but also can see why people would purchase it.

A note of warning however avoid All used cards of the series as they are almost entirely faulty cards, and if you get one make sure you can return it within the return window so you are not stuck with it.

As for the power supply I don't recall any thorough reviews of it but what's out doesn't look bad.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

So you would recommend what graphics card and how much watt would I need?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Do a fresh install of windows that's really suspicious like Gilroar said. The 8400 Is okay still, you could upgrade to a 5700xt

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Some other issues with that "build" (the CPU appears pretty strong).

No SSD? I'd expect an 8400 to have a PCIe M.2 slot available, if it doesn't there's always SSD SATA (I hope. I've seen some Dells where you could do it only by sacrificing the HDD).

The GPU is probably the weak link. Just don't expect miracles moving up from a RX580, that board does well for its age and cost and nvidia isn't compelled to lower prices on faster boards. If you are already pushing out 144fps, you certainly have more than enough CPU (regardless of what is using up the other 5 cores).

I'd look to adding a SSD first (assuming you haven't already), but don't expect any actual fps to change (it speeds up more "normal desktop" usage and the odd level load in games).

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah thank you but I don't have a problem with my pc being slow I'd rather increase my FPS haha

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Then I'd look at the GPU+monitor. I doubt the CPU is holding you back.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube