add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSD, HDD, or both?

Cooldude183
  • 4 months ago

Which would be good for a gaming pc? A 1-2 TB SSD, a 4 TB HDD, or both? Like a 500GB SSD with a 1-4 TB HDD?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd probably go with both (that way, you'll have a balance of speed and space)

Your ideal config, with costs in mind, would be a 1TB SSD, with a 2TB (or 3TB) HDD

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

And is it true that if you have both then your pc will break faster? My friend said that it won’t last for long term

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

No, unless, you either buy a bad unit, or run it hard for long periods of time (which is unlikely, unless you are filling it up to the maximum)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Alrighty sounds good

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea i have a 2TB hdd which i just store random videos and stuff of just so i dont fill up my SSD. i would go with both.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I would use both, like a 500GB ssd with a 4TB 7200RPM

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s not about the space, it’s also the speed so that’s why I’m thinking of getting both.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Or just want to have an extreme amount of storage, with or without an extreme price. Best Buy is selling 10TB external WD drives for $160. You could add two of them for $320, or 5 Samsung 970 Evos 4T for $2750 (don't ask about the 960 Pro). And of course you will run out of SATA ports a lot earlier with SSD. This either puts you into specialty motherboards and/or using SAS boards and adapters.

There's also a lot of data out there that can be stored without any concern for performance (even if you are using a more reasonable 3-4TB HDD). Video and backups are probably the most obvious. But for anyone who doesn't use storage by the terabyte (or at least not much more than 1), there's little reason to get a HDD (except maybe for backups).

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

"And of course you will run out of SATA ports a lot earlier with SSD."

Can you explain, I don't understand.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I assume the intent is that you need more SSD's to match the same amount of storage, as very large SSD's don't exist, at least not in the consumer space.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube