add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrade help from a dad

mikewvu@gmail.com

1 month ago

Good morning. I built my first gaming PC for my 5 year old son back in 2015 using the parts below. It still works great for most use, but starting to have some difficulties running newer games and freezes occasionally, so for Christmas it's time for an upgrade. Given the inventory below are there specific recommendations that I should target (e.g. motherboard, CPU, graphics card) and if so can someone recommend specifically what cards/processors would be an ideal solution given the remaining setup?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor $124.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $34.89 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard -
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory -
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive -
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.99 @ Adorama
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB Video Card -
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $130.97 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $29.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit -
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $224.68 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $690.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-24 08:37 EST-0500

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

This depends on how much you want to spend. These parts are all from, as you said, 5 years ago. Upgrading only a couple might cause some issues. Also, what is your son planning on playing?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You didnt give a budget so I'm just going to assume you want something decent but value oriented. You can reuse the 212 cooler if you can get an AM4 socket adapter. You can also use the stock cpu cooler, this just runs quieter and cooler.

(If you havent already done so, make sure you upgrade Win 7 to Win 10) PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $194.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 74.33 CFM CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Memory Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card $236.98 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $0.00
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $625.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-24 10:20 EST-0500

Getting a new PSU is probably a good idea too, if you can swing another $75 or so https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dDH48d/corsair-txm-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

This typically breaks down into three separate parts:

GPU/monitor

CPU/Motherboard/memory/OS/CPU cooler

Everything else (doesn't require upgrades, unless possibly if the 1TB drive is filling up).

The problem here is that the following are simply tied together and have to be upgraded all at once: CPU/motherboard/memory/OS (OEM typically is tied to the motherboard, although you might ask if anyone has had success with claiming that replacing such a motherboard is a "repair". I think I got away with that in the XP days, but happen to be using a transferable license now).

"Freezes occasionally", IF crashing, I'd suspect Windows first and hardware second. If you are talking about significant pauses (and not hard crashes), then it is a memory issue (and if on games might be the 2GB limit on your GPU). Note that those 16GB DDR3 sticks from Amazon are registered memory for servers only, no massive sticks available, but 2x4 is available for ~$30.

For the GPU, this RX580 should entirely move the limit from the GPU to the CPU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TTfmP6/msi-radeon-rx-580-8gb-armor-oc-video-card-rx-580-armor-8g-oc

Expect it to be good even if you have a 120Hz monitor (I'm blanking on monitor tech from 2015, but from the list I'm expecting 1080@60Hz). This should be a solid choice even if you up the CPU as well (RX570 should pair well with a bulldozer and 1080@60Hz as well, but really isn't that much cheaper than this deal compared to the performance you give up). Of course, by the time you read this expect prices to have changed again... And if you upgrade the monitor along with the GPU, it adds too many variables to make a simple "buy this" recommendation.

The acid test for CPU replacement is to turn the resolution and texturing down as far as possible on any games your son plays. If they don't exceed the fps limit of his monitor, then you will see zero improvement thanks to a $488 investment in CPU replacement (this is gaming only, but even a bulldozer tends to be more than sufficient for any office app. It typically takes something like 3d modeling to stress a modern CPU outside of gaming).

If you decide to bite the bullet and replace the bulldozer, the "Great AMD streaming/gaming build" in the build guide section runs $389 before Windows ($488 with OS). It also suggests a 5700XT GPU which is 230% more expensive for 67% more fps and might make more sense if your son is using a monitor significantly more powerful than 1080@60Hz. The fan/case/power supply will all be fine (although it might be a tossup between an included Ryzen cooler and the hyper212).

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/xM7Ycf/great-amd-gamingstreaming-build

(Newegg also has a 2700x CPU on sale, it might be a better choice for streaming and other non-game usage, although the differences aren't that big and what you gain in streaming you lose in gaming).

One last thing: I noticed the wi-fi link. Wi-fi shares all (or at best half) of its bandwidth with every network you see (or not, if they are "hidden") when trying to login to your wi-fi. A simple ethernet cable shares zero bandwidth and plugs right into your switch. If you can use wired ethernet, I strongly recommend it (wi-fi is ideal for phones and tablets, but on the desktop wires make so much more sense).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube