add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I like where I am at now, but I would like to see what changes might be necessary. Please try to keep it the same price or cheaper, if you have to go a couple bucks over for some revolutionary upgrade, then okay, I understand. Just please try not to do that annoying thing where someone goes like $30 over the budget and acts like it's fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor $59.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $69.99 @ Newegg
Memory OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $49.98 @ Newegg
Storage HP EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $36.99 @ Newegg
Video Card XFX Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card $143.98 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool MATREXX 30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $36.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart BX1 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $38.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.95 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $545.85
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $535.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-23 23:43 EST-0500

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

That is going to be really hard to beat. I'm not even seeing your choices showing up on pcpartpicker (and if you need wi-fi on that system, just buy the B450 already - you can't beat that. Although I'll rant and rave and say an ethernet cable is far superior for a desktop). You'll have to pay more (or dig deeper) for better options. So I'm not saying "just pay a little more", but "it's Black Friday week already. Check here and see if they've dropped even more".

One possibility is to go to something like this: https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0001-4S0R5?Item=9SIA596A010000&Description=refurbished%20desktops&cm_re=refurbished_desktops-_-9SIA596A010000-_-Product

You then need your RX570 card and you are good to go for almost $200 less (easily add the Seagate hybrid for more storage [and backup, that SSD has to be old], the thing already has some SSD). Difficulty, the CPU was released in 2011 and the computer can't be much newer.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883797455?Item=N82E16883797455&Description=refurbished%20desktops&cm_re=refurbished_desktops-_-83-797-455-_-Product

2013 model. Add RX570, SATA SSD (it has a 1TB HDD), and wi-fi (assuming you need it).

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-001E-2UUA4?Item=9SIAC0F9E82590&Description=refurbished%20desktops&cm_re=refurbished_desktops-_-1VK-001E-2UUA4-_-Product

2015 CPU. Needs DDR4 ram, GPU, SSD (has 500GB HDD). May require some kludging to insert SSD (something about "hard drive trays included with hard drives"). No significant advantage (I came up to $477 without SSD, assuming a $40 SSD that leaves $18 (enough for wifi?). Not worth the hassle of a 4 year old computer). At this point I gave up looking at refurbs.

You have some really strong choices. The following aren't because I expect you to buy them, it is because I simply can't beat them at that price.

Storage is probably the biggest place to see huge gains are prices close to what you have listed. One often overlooked choice is here:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/477377/seagate-firecuda-2tb-5400rpm-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-hybrid-hard-drive

Yes, even now it is more than $25 higher than your choice, but it also has 8 times the storage. Don't assume "NVMe speeds" from a 250GB HP EX900 either, it likely competes with regular SATA at that size. The Seagate hybrid gives you the "SSD+rotating rust" solution without having to buy two drives (or transfer any data), so I'd at least check the prices before pulling the trigger (assuming you have issues with a 250GB drive. If not forget it, you are paying in speed, power, and noise as well as money).

I'm having trouble finding a good >256GB SATA SSD for the price of that NVMe drive (this isn't uncommon at greater sizes either), but I'd strongly recommend trying that as well before pulling the trigger.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/503405/inland-professional-480gb-ssd-3d-tlc-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive-(480g)

Note that shipping will kill this deal if you don't live near a Microcenter (it is already over your budget anyway). And if you do live near one, sales tax might also matter (assuming they have a decent sale when you buy).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TTfmP6/msi-radeon-rx-580-8gb-armor-oc-video-card-rx-580-armor-8g-oc

I had to check the price of this when I saw your RX570. Close, but still too high. But close enough that I'd recommend checking the RX580s again when you buy (note that $20 of the price is from rebates, that doesn't make me happy). And a RX580 isn't that much of an improvement over RX570 (I think the gains are close to linear per buck spent between the two, assuming you even get the rebate).

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow! This was very helpful. Yes, in fact, I do live near a Microcenter. About 45 minutes away. I’m really in to building PCs so I would like to keep it to parts alone. I am on the fence about a SATA SSD vs an NVMe. I know there isn’t much difference, but if is enough of one for $3 more and 10GB extra storage (compared to the TCSunBow 240GB, which is the other SSD I’ve been looking at) then why not go for it? Thank you for your help. Really, that was quite impressive the detail you put in to that comment. I really appreciate it.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

May I ask why you changed the SSD? Is there any difference?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

its a 5 year warranty on a well reviewed tlc ssd. i like the hp ex920's but not as much as the kingston a2000. idk anything about the hp ex900's tbh.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, I see. Thanks for the input.

[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You did LITERALLY EXACTLY what I told you NOT to do. That’s $20 over. Please read the post before posting your list.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

OK!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry if I sounded a little rude. I didn’t mean it like that. I just have a really tight budget and I need to say as low as I can.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, the PSU will work OK.

It's a group regulated design - not the worst really, but for a bit more you could get a PSU with DC-DC converters.

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WC79PPN?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Now what you should really consider to add in the long run, is a front intake fan for the Casing.

Nice Case, but it comes only with one rear exhaust fan. :)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I’ll look into it. Thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube