add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinion wanted for AMD-Radeon Linux box

heroldn

2 months ago

Hi, I'm about to buy these pieces, my first build in about 20 years!

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZYvJf9

It's for a Linux box (hence the AMD CPU and graphics) meant for some medium gaming and some reasonable data processing. I'm more worried about any compatibility issues between parts than anything else.

Thank you in advance.

Nick.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $514.00 @ Shopping Express
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $119.00 @ Shopping Express
Memory OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $168.30 @ Newegg Australia
Storage Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $85.00 @ Shopping Express
Storage Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $265.00 @ BudgetPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card $269.00 @ PCCaseGear
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case $149.00 @ JW Computers
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $104.00 @ Austin Computers
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $59.40 @ Newegg Australia
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1732.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-24 04:18 AEDT+1100

cheaper mobo (B450 MAX)

cheaper RAM, PSU, 580

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks test19, I went with that MB because it was the only one that didn't throw up a warning about possibly needing to update the BIOS to support that CPU. Good call on the rest!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The "MAX" series is out of the box ready for the Ryzens, and the low-end X570s aren't that great in reviews.

In other words, if you see a "MAX" motherboard, just ignore the warning, it's ready to go.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Brilliant, thanks.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $514.00 @ Shopping Express
Motherboard MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $149.00 @ Centre Com
Memory OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $168.30 @ Newegg Australia
Storage Corsair MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $106.90 @ Amazon Australia
Storage Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $149.00 @ Shopping Express
Video Card Asus Radeon RX 580 8 GB DUAL Video Card $279.00 @ Shopping Express
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case $149.00 @ JW Computers
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $119.00 @ PCCaseGear
Wireless Network Adapter *TP-Link Archer T4E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $42.30 @ Device Deal
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1676.50
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-24 17:04 AEDT+1100
  • HDD seems rather overpriced
  • More durable SSD
  • Better PSU
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Some thoughts:

Do you have experience with Linux and gaming? I broke down and bought a windows license (when they were all but giving them away to get people to change with win8) because of difficulties with Linux gaming. Although using (at the time) a nvidia card didn't help. As far as I know, only wifi systems have any Linux compatibility issues (ok, I don't ever expect to get my Windows Mixed Reality headset to ever work under Linux. But I don't have any Linux applications that could use an Occulus or Vive VR headset anyway). So that's a total of 2 non-Linux compatible devices (VR plus my first DSL modem [very buggy and replaced even while using Windows]) and I think one (an old QIC tape drive) that worked in Linux (and DOS) but not windows.

You might want to look into "shucking" an external drive. I'd recommend WD Elements units, but I've heard that they aren't nearly as competitive outside the states (HDDs shouldn't be that much more that the SSD).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I've got a decent amount of Linux experience, and am a casual gamer on Windows. I also tried going full Linux a year or two ago and finally had to go back to Windows. But from what I've read Linux gaming has come a LONG way recently. With all that Valve and others are doing with Proton etc. it sounds like a revolution is on the way. And with OnlyOffice doing MS formats decently I think I might stand a chance staying on Linux. I don't need any VR that's for sure. Thanks for the tip re shucking, hadn't heard that term till now. Will see what I can find by way of external drives.

• 2 months ago
  • -1 points

NO GUYS!!!! THAT "NVME" IS A SATA INTERFACE!!!! DONT BUY THAT NVME!!!!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you talking about the SSD? It says it's a M.2 interface.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

m.2 refers to the form factor not the interface. that is a sata m.2. thats why its read and write are well below 1000mbps

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah I see, I made the assumption all things m.2 are NVME and both are better than SATA SSD's. Still need to get my head around SSD's. Thanks.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

How is that a problem?

(Linux can run off almost anything, it’s not like Win10)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it's more that it's much slower than NVME, if I understand correctly.

And thanks for pointing out that wifi adaptor. I hear TP-link is a go-to brand, will use this.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

cause they are slow and it ruins the point of getting an m.2. the whole point of an m.2 is to get a better drive than sata ssds. this is just a sata ssd in the m.2 2280 form factor and its not even cheaper.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube