add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

help to build a HOUDINI workstation

bexelis

22 days ago

Hi!

Would you have any suggestion for a budget between 2k and 3k? The idea is to run the 3d software Houdini, but also Nuke, Photoshop, AE, and Substance.

My last config was:

• Win 10 Pro

• i9 7900X - 10 cores

• Poseidon GTX1080ti

• HYPERX Predator 64Gb (4x16) 2400MHz

• PURE POWER 700W 80+ SILV

• MSI X299 SLI PLUS

• Noctua NH-D15S

• SSD 950 EVO 500Go

• SSD 2.5 WD BLUE 500Go

• BARRACUDA 3.5 4To

• case Cooler Master N300

But I had too many crashes, reboots and we never found why. So I want to go to something more stable. That can be a new build, or changing some elements. I'm not against combining them with new ones.

For instance would I keep the GTX 1080ti I have, or do I go for a new one as the AMD Threadripper. Or even combining them. I heard a lot of good things about the Threadrippers coupled with Houdini. But I also heard the lack of efficiency with others softwares as Adobe series, Nuke and some others... even leading to unexpected crashes.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Comments

• 22 days ago
  • 1 point

Instead of going for a threadripper, the 3900x or the 3950x (released on the 25th) would do better for the tasks you are doing. The 1080ti should be fine for any tasks you need to do unless you are gaming with ray tracing. Ill make a build and have it posted in a few hours.

• 22 days ago
  • 1 point

Here is the build.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $124.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard $199.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $304.99 @ Corsair
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB POSEIDON Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99 @ Newegg
Custom 3950x $750.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1499.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-19 10:34 EST-0500

I decided to replace the ram with faster ram and 2x32GB sticks. I also replaced the CPU and motherboard to fit each other. I replaced the power supply since I don't know how long you have had it. You can reuse the case and storage.

• 21 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your post RexMan4,

Neverthless I have some questions for you :)

• Why would you go to the Ryzen 9 3950x, instead of keeping the i9-7900x, or even the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X? I have tried to compared them but I have always been stuck in the final decision.

• do you think installing two GPU GTX 1080ti would be interesting?

• do you think my last power supply could be a reason from the numerus crashes I had (It's a recent machine, less than 2 years)?

• 21 days ago
  • 1 point

The 3950X lets you put in a cheaper motherboard ($200 vs $375+)

PSU wise, I'm looking at a max of about 550W for the build, and if not overclocking, would be around 400-475W.

• 19 days ago
  • 1 point

3950x has more cores and those are better for what you are doing with your computer. Threadripper has higher wattage.

It may just be that your powersupply is faulty. You may want to try and switch that out first

two 1080ti's wouldn't help much. Most programs don't support SLI so the second card would be useless most of the time. It would be better to just get a 2080ti.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube