add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2k to 3k (max) Budget

jake438899

18 days ago

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I wanted to build my first pc but I really don't know how to get started. I'm looking for a build that can support multiple virtual machines running at the same time and be able to edit videos smoothly basically a workstation. But also, I want a decent graphics card that can run games like modern warfare 4 smoothly and can easily be upgradeable.

Thank you for your time and help and have a great day.

Comments

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

How many VM's are you planning on running at a time?

Operating system required?

Peripherals required? (display/keyboard/mouse/etc)

^ if yes to display, what are you targeting in terms of display resolution and refresh rate (eg. 1080p 144hz)

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

1) 5 max but if my budget allows, the more, the better.

2) Window 10 Operating system

3) Peripherals: Yes, Monitor: 1920 x 1080p 144hz, I have everything else.

• 18 days ago
  • 3 points

Plenty of cores/RAM and fast 2TB SSD makes x5-VM a doddle

Since the budget is "expansive", with a 144hz panel i've thrown in a RTX 2070 SUPER which suits up very nicely for 1080p higher refresh rate gaming. The GPU supports ray tracing + the display is G-SYNC compatible for smoother frame feeds.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $499.99 @ Best Buy
CPU Cooler Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler $49.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard $179.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $159.99 @ Corsair
Storage Corsair MP510 1.92 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $267.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card $519.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Walmart
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $119.89 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.99 @ Amazon
Monitor MSI Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $214.99 @ Adorama
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2201.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-18 16:25 EST-0500

If your VM-count grows in the long run, the current AM4 platform also supports the 16 core Ryzen 3950X and will be compatible with next GEN Ryzen 4000 CPUs. Personally I'd stick with the 3900X, save $800, and weigh-in the options when 4000-series hits the shelves in 2020 (subject to workload requirement).

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much!

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

For the build, Under compatiable note, it listed "The Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard." Should I be worried about that?

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Here is what I found:

A: No, but you can get it from Thermalright. Send email to support@thermalright.com. After 4/3/2017, all Macho rev B will have bracket for AM4.

Unless it is way backstock, it should have the bracket.

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Oh okay thank you!

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Back in the day this cooler required a separate AM4 bracket as the package only included an intel mount mechanism - something AMD was offering free of cost via support. Newer batches bundled in both AMD/INTEL compatible brackets. Unfortunately I couldn't find any mention in the Amazon listing of one being included which is is concerning as these units may belong to the previous stack.

1. Check with seller if included

2. If not, you can grab one for free from AMD support: http://thermalright.com/2017/02/21/thermalright-amd-am4-cpu-mount-upgrade/

Alternatively,

...equally fantastic cooler for $5 less and includes an AM4 bracket: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100

BTW - the 3900X already supports a stock wraith prism cooler which is pretty decent for the task. It runs surprisingly well but does sound-up at max loads. If interested, for a more in-depth comparative analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wzhh3zH9Hs The idea being you could always try it out and see how well it fares with your personal expectations. If undesired, you can easily swap it out for something beefier and quieter.

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Hm, I see. Thanks for your help!

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

You could either wait for the 3950X, or use the 3900X. Or just go Xeon.

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Xeon wouldn't be able to game well tho.

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

I saw many videos on AMD 3950X, Do you know when the release date?

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Exactly 1 week from today (11/25), while the 3000G (similar to a 240GE) is tomorrow.

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Thank you

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube