add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 3950X builds?

gmui

2 months ago

With all the hype and positive video reviews I've seen on the upcoming Ryzen 3950X, I'm surprised to not see more threads or builds planned around the next big thing coming from AMD. I've never had an AMD desktop but mark5916 recently pointed me to the 3900X and from there I learned about the 3950X. Is there a lot of interest among builders for this CPU? I'm hoping to get some BF discounts on other parts of my build but is the 3950X actually going to be available to buy?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I'm hoping to get some BF discounts on other parts of my build but is the 3950X actually going to be available to buy?

3900X has been hit and miss instock with price gouging because of short supply.

And that is an easier part for AMD to make.

Right now its going to be a wait and see if it's even more of a unicorn part or if there is actually some level of supply available.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I think a lot will depend on why AMD is having the 3900X stock problems. If it’s because they underestimated demand, that will be an easy error to correct. If it’s a capacity issue, that is a long term problem. Supply problems aren’t as bad as they were before, so I think that’s a good sign. My local Microcenter has had them in stock almost constantly for the past month, right now shows 10+, and is selling them at retail (albeit, that’s a markup at Microcenter).

I think there’s a lot of interest and I imagine most people who can justify the costs to themselves (rationally or irrationally) will end up with one, but it is still a $750 part and that limits the market right there.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I think a lot will depend on why AMD is having the 3900X stock problems. If it’s because they underestimated demand, that will be an easy error to correct. If it’s a capacity issue, that is a long term problem.

There is no long term these models are already hitting half life and will be out of production soon if not already with them being replaced next year.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Long term is a relative term. And AMD doesn’t put old stuff out of production right away. They sell them at discounts because it’s cheaper to produce on an older node. There might be an exception on this high end because it would kill product segmentation. AMD has experienced that this gen because the best competition for the Ryzen 5 3600 is the Ryzen 7 2700(x).

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

These are being produced at a different manufacturer who has already cancelled taking new orders until 2021+ after Apple doubled their orders.

Keeping older models in production isn't an option this time around.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Who knows how many of these things have been ordered and when the orders were placed. This stuff is an extremely well guarded trade secret. AMD could have easily made sure they had enough orders to cover any reasonable demand until more capacity becomes available.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#xcx=0&m=6&F=78

Looks like all the Zen 1x00 series CPUs are still in stock at prices under launch. Like Intel's old problem, AMD has to somehow keep making chips that outcompete their old stock. As far as I know, all 12/14nm orders AMD has are for Matisse I/O chips, Picasso chips, and possibly GPUs (although unlike Intel, they aren't constrained in 12/14nm production and could make 2x00 series CPUs if they wanted to).

"Long term production" of CPUs are typically suited for Server and especially embedded use. Desktop and laptop chips are simply purchased by what is available, and there is little reason to believe that Zen 3 will terribly obsolete a 3950X build (from the user's perspective), and Sunny Cove is even more vaporish.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Globalfoundries isn't being used for these though so the old tactic of keeping the old in production doesn't apply anymore.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, my local Microcenter has the 3900X too. I'm hoping the 3950X will be available there too for retail when it comes out (if prices are marked up online).

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m honestly considering it too. Going to start running quad core VMs for the giggles.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

There is interest and it is a powerhouse. But need to keep in mind, while it brings great performance at a lower price point then what has been available in the past, it is in isolation an expensive CPU. Similarly, mostly people on this site are general users / gamer so cheaper products already around would perform largely similarly hence why you will not see loads of people planning to use it.

3950x is not going to get a BF discount soon.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

With all the hype and positive video reviews I've seen on the upcoming Ryzen 3950X, I'm surprised to not see more threads or builds planned around the next big thing coming from AMD

A vast majority of relative discussion points or necessitated recommendations are usually focused on gaming builds or other lesser or similar arranged requirements. For these types of builds, the 3900X and 3950X are pointless. Gaming or basic build requirements adequately sit on 4-8 core modern day CPUs hence more emphasis will be shown towards Ryzen 2nd/3rd GEN CPUs or intel 8000/9000-series.

The oodling higher core-count (3950X) market share is smaller and better targeted by specific workflows which are capable of scaling across these number of cores or multi-threaded yields. The 12 core 3900X does desirably pop up occasionally at the consumer-end with the growing demands of gamers and streamers. These sort of simultaneous workloads are becoming more popular amongst gamers and likewise benefit with higher core count options. Keep in mind, the higher the core count the greater the performance hit on single threaded performance (latency). Various workloads are less inclined to more cores but will favour higher single threaded speeds (eg. gaming, various editing tools, general compute environments, design and modelling, etc).

I'm hoping to get some BF discounts on other parts of my build but is the 3950X actually going to be available to buy?

ONLY consider the 3950X if your workload is capable of saturating this type of performance otherwise you'll just end up being a 16-seat bus driver with 8-12 unoccupied seats (if that makes sense).

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The 3950X has the highest single core performance. Theoretically, if the scheduler is optimized, you can get max frames and stream at the same time. It’s tied with the 9900K in gaming. Is it worth it in terms of price to performance in gaming? No. But you clearly haven’t watched the reviews if you think you’ll LOSE performance by buying this CPU.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

You said it yourself "if the scheduler is optimized". Oddly enough it is already, whether it leans purely on AMD requirements or not is another question all-together.

If you're scaling across all cores you're not going to see those performance advantages in single threaded workloads. If you're purchasing the 3950X to enjoy single threaded performance across a single or a handful of cores to profit with comparable performance then it makes the higher-core count endeavour pointless in the first place, unless other workloads are willing to make compromises.

The 3950X has the highest single core performance.

This can be rather misleading for the buyer. It would help if you can distinguish where these performance recompenses take shape and form (type of workloads, etc). More-so, after the OP responds with the entailed purpose of use. In general, the single threaded supremacy continues to sit at the intel camp. In general, games see a clear advantage with a 9700K/9900K/9900KS - again the single threaded rise of the brawnier, which would beg for a statement revision.

No. But you clearly haven’t watched the reviews if you think you’ll LOSE performance by buying this CPU.

You're taking matters out of context - but then again you are the "reluctant" geek lol

No-one is suggesting "LOSS" but a mere mention of higher core count utilisation taxing single threaded performance is a GIVEN and we don't need synthetic benchmarks to confirm otherwise as system architectures do not change over-night on the same platform. Granted, better fab/binning practices, more cores, greater clockspeeds, optimised code, etc puts newer generational processing power at a more robust frontier but CCX fill/share/enabler latencies remain and tapping into 2-3-4 CCX's (etc) is already "officially" confirmed to tax core ST's (some more heavily then others).

We should focus on the OPs requirement first as I don't fancy firing blank shots or form pathways which are non-aligned with the requirement.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Currently working on a build specifically for this if I am able to get it the day of. Thing is, it is my first pc build that I am almost done blueprinting and will soon post up here to get some feedback (Possibly tomorrow or the next). Very excited how multi-purposed and efficient it is but most of all, I am eager to support AMD after seeing how often Intel overcharges the consumers. Either way, if i have it done soon, ill try to post the build here on the thread or if anything, you can probably see it floating around somewhere in the forums lol

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice! I'm curious as to what parts you're putting together. I just started ordering parts in the hope / expectation I can get one soon after launch and start building in December. Here's what I have so far:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $750.00
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler $108.31 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard $359.00 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory Purchased For $146.30
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $160.73
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $157.13
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $144.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1826.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-21 00:45 EST-0500
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome list! I've been saving up for a long time for this and so my budget is ~4k. That being said, I plan to spoil myself greatly! I have done my research and have been holding out until this release lol Anyhow, here is my list! Let me know what you think.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $499.99 @ Best Buy
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $132.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard $362.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $199.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $299.92 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card $1279.99 @ Best Buy
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $113.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair AX 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $229.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan $19.95 @ Amazon
Monitor LG 32GK850G-B 31.5" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $444.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750 (MX Blue) Wired Gaming Keyboard $139.99 @ B&H
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 600 Wired Optical Mouse $65.00 @ Amazon
Total $3879.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-21 14:30 EST-0500
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks like a solid build! I assume gaming will be one of its main priorities? :) Interesting that we have somewhat similar builds but then very different. On the memory, is the premium primarily for the RGB? I'm wondering if the G. Skill Ripjaws V I ordered (on backorder) is somehow a mistake? 32gb DDR-3600 with CAS 16 for $134 vs. the Corsair RGB for 16gb at $200?

Your GPU looks like a killer though while my 1070 is a leftover part.

For the MB, I've read all the boards around $350 are roughly equivalent. Any particular reason for the Asus you chose? I have no experience with modern boards but just read that VRMs are better on the Gigabyte and again, the feature list is pretty equivalent.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Gaming will absolutely be one of my priorities! I plan on moving away from my console to PC so I hope to achieve a great gaming pc build that can multi-task on other fields that I hope to work on as well. RGB is often whats boost these prices up and although they aren’t necessary, they do look appealing! (Depending on who’s buying). I’m still a newbie so don’t take my word on anything but I will try to explain things to the best of my knowledge. As of now I have switched my RAM to a Trident which is less expensive and more aesthetic. It’s a better deal. The GPU I have is really good and although I almost went for the Founder’s Edition, I read that it had several issues and that the ASUS provides a better version of it. I honestly chose this motherboard because not only was it cheaper than others, but it held many good reviews along with being compatible with the 3950x. Overall I think that my build is going the right direction and not long ago did I make a post that had many other users help me improve the build so I’ll put in an update on here. I hope it helps with your build as well!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is another update of my list!

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor $750.00
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $131.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard $362.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory -
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $149.99 @ Amazon
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $169.48 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card $1279.99 @ Best Buy
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $113.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair AX 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $229.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan $19.95 @ Amazon
Monitor LG 32GK850G-B 31.5" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $444.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750 (MX Blue) Wired Gaming Keyboard $139.99 @ B&H
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 600 Wired Optical Mouse $65.00 @ Amazon
Total $3858.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-22 00:47 EST-0500

Ive changed the RAM, SSD, Included the price of the CPU, and changed the case fan. I might be changing the PSU but for now, this is the update.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Why only 16 GB of memory? Might be worth getting 32 GB.

Edit: Nevermind I saw your update below.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I have gave it some more thought and switched to the 32GB! I should’ve mentioned it before

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

This is the build I'm working on, have about half the parts so far. Undecided on the ram but the rest is pretty much set in stone.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor -
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X72 Liquid CPU Cooler $169.49 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard $299.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $334.99 @ Newegg
Storage Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $409.99 @ Amazon
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $322.76 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card $1453.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT H710 ATX Mid Tower Case $139.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $179.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan $21.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan $29.90 @ Amazon
Headphones Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset $69.98 @ Amazon
Custom ASUS PG278QR Black 27" 1ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor $429.99 @ Amazon
Custom Corsair Gaming K95 RGB PLATINUM Mechanical Keyboard, Cherry MX Speed, Black (CH-9127014-NA) $129.99 @ Best Buy
Total (before mail-in rebates) $4232.74
Mail-in rebates -$80.00
Total $4152.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 05:34 EST-0500
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That looks like a killer build.

I'm so frustrated right now with AMD after trying to get a 3950X from anywhere online and after driving to a Microcenter that reported 10+ in stock in store and not available online. But of course nothing is available now anywhere. I've already cancelled my Gigabyte Auros Master order (just in time) and will have to think hard about waiting so long to give a company money who couldn't provide enough inventory for a so-called launch.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok somehow the 3950X appeared with an "Add to Cart" button on my iPad and even though the product description page said "Current unavailable", I was able to submit an order. Target delivery is 11/30 - 12/4 but won't be too surprised if it gets cancelled. But for now I've re-ordered the parts I need to complete my build which looks like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor Purchased For $811.73
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler $108.31 @ Amazon
Thermal Compound Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste $8.11 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard $390.12 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory Purchased For $146.30
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $160.73
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $157.13
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $144.99 @ B&H
Total $1927.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 16:19 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube