add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I don't want flashy, I just want a capable machine.

Bilmuri

26 days ago

And by capable machine, I mean a cutting edge, fast PC. I am new to selecting components for computers, as well as building them. I do not need fancy towers or RGB lights or any other add-ons. For example, could I get a really plain looking GPU cheaper than the exact same GPU with fancy wiring and RGB LEDs etc? Any advice would be appreciated. I have a lot of questions!

Budget: $2000-2500 Location: Richmond, Virginia Use: Gaming, streaming, light bioinformatics programs (PhD) -- I want to be able to run ultra 4k at high FPS Peripherals: None other than a GOOD streaming Camera OS: I already have a Windows 10 copy

FIRST QUESTION - What is the word on using "Very Good" conditioned USED components? Is this okay for some components? What should I NOT get used?

Part preference so far:

GPU: RTX 2080 Ti - Only really willing to budge if someone is able to breakdown why getting a more economical card would be better. I know this may be a moronic statement for a computer hardware forum, but I want something that will age decently. I know that's a lot to ask for when it comes to chip technology--convince me! Should I get liquid cooled GPU variant? Benefits negligible or noticeable?

CPU: i7 9700k -- i9 doesn't seem all that more powerful for the dramatic price increase

Motherboard: Only questions here...I read somewhere that this is sometimes neglected. A lot of people argue for $160-220, but I would stretch for $300 if it really brought that much more to table. In my limited understanding I hear the only reason one really needs a more sophisticated MB is if they want a specific feature or build? Idk?

Memory: SSD 1Tb, 3-4Tb HDD

RAM: I NEED HELP HERE WHAT AND WHY AND HUH

Thank you all for your time

Comments

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-9700KF 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $339.88 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $59.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $183.98 @ Newegg
Memory *Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Storage MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 1.92 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $229.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.97 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card $1249.00 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower Case $94.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply BitFenix Formula Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $89.00 @ Amazon
Case Fan Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK 82.1 CFM 140 mm Fan $14.99 @ Amazon
Custom Logitech C920S Pro HD Webcam with Privacy Shutter - Widescreen Video Calling and Recording, 1080p Camera, Desktop or Laptop Webcam $69.98 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2471.76
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-15 01:30 EST-0500
  • 26 days ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

Why did you choose an MSI card?

Also could you tell me why this RAM would be more beneficial than a similar counterpart?

Thanks!

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point
  • MSI card has the highest boost clock, whilst staying in budget (it’ll be faster than a reference card)

• The brand of RAM shouldn’t matter, I just needed something cheap and low profile (so it won’t interfere with the Fuma 2’s front fan)

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

And you're allocating more preference for highest boosted overclocking frequency because of my preference for Ultra-HD/4k gaming?

What's a card you would personally use? I see you've recently completed a build. Can you tell me why you choose that GPU? It looks like you also got a heftier cooling system, why?

• 25 days ago
  • 2 points

Pushing high FPS rates, especially at 4K will be a challenge (you’d be better off with 60/75Hz @ 4K, rather than 144). A 2080TI will able to achieve that easily, even with the graphics cranked up

I got the heftier cooling system to ensure that the CPU maintains the highest frequencies it can sustain.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

So I've been looking online at the MSI Graphics card. Combining total % of 5 and 4 star reviews, most of the EVGA 2080 Ti's have 75-79%, while the aggregate 4 and 5 star ratings of MSI cards (Ventus etc) and the one linked here only total 69% with more 1 and 2 star reviews. Why is this? Seems MSI is unreliable.

I want to preface this with the fact that MY only gaming rig that I've used religiously for the last 5 years is a MSI GT70 Dominator. And I really enjoyed the experience.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Most of those bad reviews are either related to user issues (not installing it properly, etc), users having bad experiences being more likely to post a review, etc.

Or they could be related to an internal issue, which is out of the user’s control (eg a bad batch of chips, something not being assembled correctly, etc)

So I wouldn’t really worry

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KzwMcq

Dual 2080 SUPER's for better-than-2080ti-for-the-same-price. Included SLI bridge. 3700x because I think that the extra threads will treat a streaming PC better, and X570 will be relevant for longer the Z390 so there's a better upgrade path.

Everything else is pretty standard. The webcam included is oretty much what every streamer uses, so there's that.

Enjoy man, reply with any questions!

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

So I noticed you mentioning a similar suggestion for another user. I did a quick google of multiple GPUs or SLIs. Say some definitive drawbacks, though the articles were a little older. IF this dual GPU scenario is truly superior, why doesn't it seem more commonplace?

What would be the advantage of one strong card over two of the aforementioned supers. Additionally, if I changed my caveat to minimal streaming needs, and more so heavy, smooth gaming, would this change your recommendation?

• 25 days ago
  • 2 points

I'm only suggesting this (the dual GPUs) because it's a cost-effective way to outright beat the performance of a 2080ti. As far as why this isn't more commonplace, well that's easy; it's scary. Someone newer to this new and exciting tech world might not want to deal with something extra on top of the stress of building a PC in the first place. Additionally, this solution isn't very commonplace because there are very few people that can actually use the horsepower of a single 2080ti, much less two 2080S's or two 2080ti's.

I recommended this to the other topic poster because he has a fairly tight budget for what he's hoping to achieve - 300fps on high settings in Fortnite, for $1500. I was trying to squeeze every ounce out of that budget and I figured why should I recommend someone to pay 50% more (2080ti) for 15% more performance when they can pay 50% more (dual 2080s's) and get >15% more performance. Same reasoning on your part.

However, I don't have any personal experience with SLi, so I have a hard time wholeheartedly recommending it because of this. Don't let that scare you off though - as I said, this solution is not mainstream because of how "scary" it seems.

On the contrary, have you ever seen a build with two GPUs? You can't tell me you wouldn't like to see that on the desk next to you. It just screams premium.

That essay out of the way, in the end it's your decision on what to do or what not to do. I completely understand if you'd rather just go with a 2080ti, because there is some "street cred" for having the best consumer GPU as well as it not having that "scariness". Take your time with any decision, you can;t think it over too much.

Enjoy whatever you do decide on :)

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Really thorough, I appreciate you taking the time and for explaining this in terms that I can understand!! Wow

What do you think about buying used components?

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Buying used has it's place. I don't think a $2500 budget is that place, but if there's a good deal on something you feel you'd use, then go for it.

I personally almost always buy used, though.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Could you also explain your rationale for Ryzen over i7 9700k?

• 25 days ago
  • 2 points

In short, (because I accidentally deleted what I typed before lol) the 3700x will have a much better time with streaming and multi-threaded workloads(think blender) because of its 16 threads.

As far as would my recommendation change, yes, I believe it would. It all depends on what you'll be doing most, and if that's gaming, then the 9700k is the better choice. However, if you feel you will be streaming a lot you want that experience to be as enjoyable as possible, too.

Whatever decision you make, have fun with it man :)

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

You have made such valuable contributions to my knowledge base. THANK you so much, this is a tough decision but I will take into consideration everything you have said.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Take your time, and hey, it's my job to help. I'll be here if you have any questions / want an opinion.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

SLI/NVLink support is dwindling, so I don’t think that is a good suggestion.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

But is the build worse than the exact same with a 2080ti? My moneys on no, so I suggested it. Simple.

• 22 days ago
  • 1 point

It’s not worse, but since your graphical configuration isn’t supported by most titles, I’d say it is somewhat worse off.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube