add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is the Taichi worth it?

Beeblets

2 months ago

Need some advice on motherboard. I like the features of the Taichi but see a lot of gaming builds at a higher price point than mine (£1.5k) which use the cheaper X570 boards. I was wondering if the Tachi is worth the extra £100+ when compared to an Aorus Elite or a Gaming Pro Carbon?

See before I was looking to future proof and maybe use the Taichi with a Ryzen 8/9 when they come out but then read they're changing the AM4 socket so is there any point in buying what I deem a more expensive motherboard right now?

This is what I was going with: PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor £296.98 @ Aria PC
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard £295.40 @ Alza
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory £95.48 @ Amazon UK
Storage Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £59.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Z Video Card £358.99 @ Amazon UK
Case NZXT H510i ATX Mid Tower Case £102.00 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply £112.92 @ Ebuyer
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit £180.97 @ Laptops Direct
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1502.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-03 17:51 GMT+0000

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I was wondering if the Tachi is worth the extra £100+ when compared to an Aorus Elite or a Gaming Pro Carbon?

With Zero overclocking headroom and a rather loud chipset fan no it isn't worth the extra.

See before I was looking to future proof and maybe use the Taichi with a Ryzen 8/9 when they come out but then read they're changing the AM4 socket so is there any point in buying what I deem a more expensive motherboard right now?

In theory there is one more generation on the AM4 socket.

With how large AMD has to make the software package for the BIOS they are already sacrificing chip compatibility in order to fit everything even with the models using the larger BIOS versions so a platform change is really needed.

And that 3700X is likely to last you well past the socket change, so you would be left having to choose between a newer better platform or spending on an already replaced out of date chip that you can have similar performance on the newer platform for less money.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah think I'll go for a cheaper X570. Any recommendations?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

a Taichi is not worth it with a 3700x... Get a cheaper x570 and upgrade to a 2070 super for example

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah looking like that will be the plan.. any cheaper X570 recommendations?

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

asus tuf x570

asrock x570 steel legend

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly I regret getting an X570 board for my 3700x at all.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

How come? What did you wish you got instead? B450 or X470?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Either should work. Yeah, you have to get a high end B450, but that’s still significantly cheaper than all but the absolute trash tier X570s. And the reason is that it’s just overkill. You really need a 3900x or 3950x to really take advantage of the better VRMs.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Right, some B450 vrm don't even have sinks on them, you do need a good one and it will do the job. The x470 is spec higher most of them are good, remember it was the top board for first half of this year. Though my prime x470 is same price when I bought it near 6 mo ago lol. But if you are not going to get any advantage out of x570 then not much point to paying for it. I figure I can drop today's new ryzen in this and years later when that is done I'll build new system on AM5 or whatever it is. I mean if you have a 3600/3700/etc ryzen and a 2080 super how long you think it will last from today? And what will be out by then? Unless you play new games all the time, well then you are going to have to update often and pay for it.

I almost bought a x470 tiachi, it went on sale for around 150 at one point. But it has a lower memory OC listed and supposedly not as nice a bios. Best VRM around for x470 though. Since I am running a 2400g for a while I really wanted to OC memory much as I could.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean, this all really depends. Next gen console specs will tell you a lot about how long a system will last. My guess is you won’t “have” to upgrade anything 5700 xt/2070 or higher for a while, but one benefit of constantly upgrading your system is that you’ll get more out of your used parts when you go to sell. That goes for both GPU and CPU/MoBo. That way you can nearly constantly maintain an equal level of performance and not get hit with a massive cost when you go to upgrade a whole system.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say yes! BUT, I would get the X470 which is as good VRM and one of the best AM4 motherboards and you don't pay the extra for the X570.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Simple choice: do you need 8 SATA ports?

If so, go with the Taichi. Note that you might still want a 470 taichi if you don't care about PCIe4, but I suspect anyone wanting to fill 8 SATA ports will probably want the fastest PCIe lanes possible for future expansion.

For anything else, there are a lot of better motherboards. But the taichi models make wonderful NAS boxes (or anything else that needs a ton of storage).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube