add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

With m.2 or SSD in general...any reason to have 2 smaller drives vs. 1 larger drive?

TexasNiteowl
  • 3 months ago

I was going to get 2 x 1tb m.2 drives for my new build but realized I'm kind of stuck in the past where 1 ssd was for the OS for faster loading and 1 mechanical was for data/storage. Depending on which 2tb drive, buying 2 separate 1tb drives is a little cheaper, but otherwise? Any pros/cons one way or the other?

So, instead of getting these: 1 x 480gb Corsair MP510 (OS) 1 x 1tb Sabrent Rocket (data/storage)

should I instead get: 1 x 2tb Sabrent Rocket

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

More SSD is always better. :-) I guess if you are extremely confident about your storage needs, and don't need the larger space, you can save a bit of money buying a smaller one. I can't really make myself believe it though.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

lol. well, 2tb is still 2tb whether in 1 unit or across 2 units. But the other advantage of going with the larger 2tb unit is that I will still have an m.2 slot available for future.

What I'm trying to look into now is that I've seen some reports of issues when restoring an image backup from an hdd to nvme. Since part of my plan was to have a mech. hdd in my unit to store backups on and be able to restore if necessary, I want to make sure I know what is going on. And, if I have a 2tb nvme split into 2 partitions, 1 for OS and 1 for data, does that complicate restoring the OS partition if necessary.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

if one hard drive goes bad, everything is gone

I have OS on 1 drive.

second drive has OS backup, storage etc

I also have backup of OS on a USB drive that is portable.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

if one hard drive goes bad, everything is gone

SSDs tend to be more reliable than HDDs due to their lack of moving parts. Not saying they will never fail in a home user setting they are less likely to fail than a HDD

second drive has OS backup, storage etc

This is not a valid form of backup by second internal drive. If you are hit with a power surge and it fries everything in your PC then there goes your backup. Better idea for external option for backup and the best idea is to also have an offsite backup such as using an online backup like backblaze.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You are speaking to a pcpartpicker audience. Most here dont even know what a "back up" is

also have backup of OS on a USB drive that is portable.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

More SSD is better usually.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are interested in using a tiering system (typically AMD's system, although some people have managed to convince Windows 10 to include tiering [footnote]), then expect that you have to combine entire drives in your system (I don't think primocache needs the entire drive). That's about the only advantage to having multiple drives. If you really want multiple drives, you can just partition a big drive (and with SSDs this gives you the advantages of combining all unused space into spare SSD space).

[footnote] https://nils.schimmelmann.us/post/153541254987/intel-smart-response-technology-vs-windows-10

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

1x 2TB drive (to begin with) is my preference: bigger SSD perform better and tend (1TB vs 2TB is not, usually, quite there) to be more economic.

Given the (generally marginal) difference, "small/fast + big/slow" (SSD) is just as outdated as "SSD + HDD".

But there's nothing to get bent out of shape about.

Once you're beyond the difference between SSD and HDD, it's honestly just down to price: if you do notice the difference between NVMe and SATA, or QLC vs TLC etc, then you'll also appreciate the difference (or lack thereof) in price.

1TB https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/N7zkcf/sabrent-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-sb-rocket-1tb

2TB https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/kQZzK8/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-asx8200pnp-2tt-c

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube