add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
MitchV

1 month ago

Hey,

my system is slowly driving me crazy with the crashes and slow speeds.

my biggest problem is my 6 years old SSD (60GB) is FULL and doesn't have any available cache.

I'm currently running next components

AMD Black phenom II 955 quad core (very old)

Gigabyte motherboard nothing special

12Gb of assorted mish mash of RAM

Said 60Gb ssd 2.5" sata (very old)

and a recent GTX980 from EVGA, that i want to keep.

I'm looking for Above average performance and load speeds

i was thinking ryzen 5 with at least 6 cores, 16 Gb of ram and an NVME M.2 SSD of 1 to 2 TB.

I am willing to spend extra to put 2 M.2 ssd's in raid 0 for extra speed if this is any benefit.

I live in belgium, have around 600-700 Euro's to spend, but am willing to go to 800-ish Maximum

So if possible no new graphics card, power supply and case

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I am willing to spend extra to put 2 M.2 ssd's in raid 0 for extra speed if this is any benefit.

For most use-cases NVME superiority is too vast for user exploitation hence RAID "0" would have next to zero impact in real-time workflows. For enterprise-level specific NVME saturated workflows RAID 0 is possible but with a budget of 600-700 euros i'd first look to secure the best performance your budget can purchase (CPU/MOBO/RAM/etc).

For a more representative recommendation, what's the intended goal for the build? (gaming/streaming/editing/rendering/etc)

Also, it would help to know the make and model of both the power supply and case. Older PSU's with lower wattage supply, poorer voltage regulation and wilder efficiency configurations can be limiting/hazardous for power munching/superior performing builds. The case stats would help to configure the motherboards form factor and airflow for thermal considerations.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Here's what I put together.

• I agree with your choice of a Ryzen 5. It's perfect in terms of price-to-performance so I would definitely go there.

• I disagree with your thought of RAID 0 SSD. That's unnecessary and won't benefit you unless transferring very large files. NVMe RAID 0 even more so. You just need a larger SSD with more cache.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor €143.89 @ Alternate Belgium
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard €101.89 @ Alternate Belgium
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory €79.95 @ Bytes At Work
Storage Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive €127.95 @ Bytes At Work
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €453.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-22 16:09 CEST+0200
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Here’s one that reaches towards your absolute maximum.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor €224.95 @ Bytes At Work
Motherboard MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard €195.00 @ Paradigit
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory €112.95 @ Bytes At Work
Storage Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive €237.95 @ Bytes At Work
Total €770.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-22 16:57 CEST+0200

If you would prefer to go lower then I’d suggest going with a B450 max board because they’re cheaper and come ready for 3rd gen ryzen out of the box and/or going down to a 1TB NVMe. Unfortunately though it seems the motherboard isn’t sold on the Belgium sites included here, but Amazon France can and will ship out to Belgium so that’s the price I included.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor €224.95 @ Bytes At Work
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard €103.31
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory €112.95 @ Bytes At Work
Storage Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive €127.95 @ Bytes At Work
Total €569.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-22 17:09 CEST+0200

And I agree with LIVE_AMMO, it would be good to know what PSU you have because it might be better to upgrade it for the reasons he gave.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube