add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Overclocking RAM with Asrock B450M Pro4

kelawson

3 months ago

Recently, I built a computer based on the Entry Level AMD Build. I used a Ryzen 3 2200G, the ASRock B450 Pro4 board, and TeamGroup's T-Force VulcanZ 3000 memory. The computer works and everything is fine except that I cannot overclock the RAM. It's running at 2400. I've tried 2 sticks and I've tried 4. When I contacted ASRock, the tech told me that with 4 sticks, that is as high as I could get. He showed me a chart on page 23 of the manual (which I couldn't get to copy and paste here). Sure enough, 2400 was the high end. Two stick would get me 2667, but in no case was I getting 3000. I've never run into anything like this before, where a motherboard limits the XMP profile. The memory is not on ASRock's QVL, but TeamGroup has their own QVL, and it says I'm good for 3000 with that memory on that board. Can anybody explain to me why I have to settle for 2400?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm.

My only thought is that the B450 Pro4 memory controller(s) simply are not up for the task of 3000+ mhz on a dual channel configuration. Still not sure why ASRock would claim such a feat if they know it isn't capable of doing so. I mean, it's listed as one of the top features on the webpage for that board. "Supports DDR4 3200+ (OC)"

When you're attempting an overclock, are you manually entering voltages and timings or are you simply attempting to set XMP/DOCP?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Just using XMP.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You bring up a good point about the webpage info. I've just sent in another service request asking them to explain the contradiction between the webpage and the manual. I'm afraid the best I can hope for is an RMA on the board, and another board that won't overclock for my trouble. This is the part of building computers that I don't like. :(

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube