add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will a GeForce GTX 560 Ti work as a low end temporary GPU for R7 3700X/Strix X570-I (Mini ITX) Setup

Aero_Knight

3 months ago

The Question: Is the GTX 560 Ti still compatible with the new processor (R7 3700X) and chipset (X570) I plan to use?

Background: I have an "ancient" 2011/12 Intel i5-2500K on an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 with 16GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Only thing I have upgraded on it over the years is adding a second GPU (SLI), migrating OS to an SSD and updating the RAM to what it is now.

I don't play FPS heavy games like MW or Battlefield so surprisingly it was doing great until early last year where it just started to not cut it anymore with any of the newer games (Anno, Jurassic World, Mechwarrior, DCS and similar that I tend to play). So I figured it was time to upgrade especially with MS Flightsim 2020 coming and other great visual games next year. I have been working on putting together a list for a smaller style "console" build using the Silverstone RVZ03 and was planning on upgrading to it in "stages" to not hit my wallet so hard at once.

I know the Strix X570-I Mini ITX board I am planning on using only has a single PCI-E physical 16x slot so obviously my original SLI setup wouldn't work off the bat physically and I am jumping from Intel to AMD so that's a thing also. I just need something TEMPORARY to use until after the holiday's when I can upgrade to the MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE I want or better if something comes up by then in my price range.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Background: I have an "ancient" 2011/12 Intel i5-2500K on an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 with 16GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Only thing I have upgraded on it over the years is adding a second GPU (SLI), migrating OS to an SSD and updating the RAM to what it is now.

I don't play FPS heavy games like MW or Battlefield so surprisingly it was doing great until early last year where it just started to not cut it anymore with any of the newer games (Anno, Jurassic World, Mechwarrior, DCS and similar that I tend to play).So I figured it was time to upgrade especially with MS Flightsim 2020 coming and other great visual games next year. I have been working on putting together a list for a smaller style "console" build using the Silverstone RVZ03 and was planning on upgrading to it in "stages" to not hit my wallet so hard at once.

I know the Strix X570-I Mini ITX board I am planning on using only has a single PCI-E physical 16x slot so obviously my original SLI setup wouldn't work off the bat physically and I am jumping from Intel to AMD so that's a thing also. I just need something TEMPORARY to use until after the holiday's when I can upgrade to the MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE I want or better if something comes up by then in my price range.

Paragraphs!

Yes it will work. Any PCI-E GPU will work in any PCI-E slot. Now for as well depeneds on the PCI gen and if its not a X16 slot or not but for your purposes zero problems. It uses PCI-I 2.0 and the board supports up to 4.0. You only start running into potential performance problems when its the other way around or you limit the bandwidth by using a X4 slot or something (yes you can actually do that).

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

One issue I discovered with my trusty 560ti was that it was incapable of driving a 4k monitor.

I doubt a 560ti would be limited by an x4 slot in SLI mode, but I doubt that SLI really is the way forward.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I think SLI is going to go away unless 8K becomes a "norm" which for screens won't happen. However for VR you may find multiple card syncing and balancing potentially find SLI useful. Now in my case I used to run it on a 42" Visio TV when I first built the thing back in 2011 and was able to play the first Tomb Raider on max settings with zero problems...minor screen tearing after playing for an hour was probably the worst I saw. When I moved, I switched to a two 22" monitor setup that fit better in my office but nothing is 4K (too old and small really to matter back then). Wife and I do plan on getting a decent 4K tv eventually so technically I could theoretically use the newer more mobile PC as an entertainment center for movie nights or something depending on what GPU I eventually get.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube