add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I download Windows 10 for free?

vincent_2006
  • 5 months ago

Hi I was wondering about this debate. All my friends are saying I can just download windows 10 for free. Is this true for when I build a new PC? Thx

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Generally speaking, no. Unless you are getting a copy via your school.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

oh ok thx

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

What your friend means is you can go to the Microsoft website directly and download the installation media which will let you create a bootable usb drive and install windows. Windows will not be registered and be in the trial mode. This is an official copy direct from Microsoft and is the 'real deal'.

You can then either enter the license information later once you buy it online (or one you already have), or you can purchase a license directly from Microsoft right from within the Win10 operating system to register it.

As far as any time limits etc. before you have to register it, there do not seem to be any. It is a fully usable version just does not allow you to customize it fully and it has a watermark on the windows desktop. You are violating the licensing agreement if you don't pay/register it, but there does not appear to be any plans for them to really enforce it.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Use of Windows must be done with a legitimate product key.

Per Microsoft:

You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method.

For more information please see: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Use of Windows must be done with a legitimate product key.

Per Microsoft:

You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method.

For more information please see: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube