add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
goblinmob

1 month ago

Trying real hard to land on that $500 mark while setting myself up to spend the least amount of money "twice" down the road when I turn this into the PC I actually wanted.

Most of what I'm looking for in this build is being able to run PCSX2 or Dolphin or the like smoothly at hopefully 720p at least. I also have a modest Steam and GOG library but nothing extremely demanding. Borderlands 1+2 or Skyrim SE heavily modded w/ ENB is about the most demanding I run hopefully 60fps without many hiccups.

I have a VIZEO E420i-B0 that I've been using as a monitor/tv and I'm happy with it. And sure if I'm entirely sold on overclocking in order to get the results I'm looking for.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $121.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot Viper Elite 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $35.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400S ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $501.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-14 15:48 EDT-0400

So hopefully this shapes up to be a nice discreet quiet little gaming console for my living room.

Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to pass on any advice or saw something i totally overlooked =]

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I think that considering the games you play, the 2400G would be sufficient in providing at least a 720p60 experience. It should be capable of 1080p60 quite easily, maybe not at maxed out settings but around medium for sure.

There are tons of benchmarks and videos based on 2400G performance. Just take a look and see if it meets your requirements. You can always invest in an GPU later down the road when you need/want an upgrade in gaming performance.

• You will definitely want faster RAM considering you'll be using an APU. 3000mhz at least, preferably 3200mhz. I found 3000mhz for only a couple more bucks.

• Changed out the SSD. I don't believe you need a 970. I got you a 660P which is still NVMe so it's very quick, but a 'budget' SSD. Will serve your purposes just fine.

• You chose a mid-tower ATX case but had a micro-atx MoBo. That's fine but the MoBo will look very small inside. I swapped to a premium micro-atx case but you're welcome to keep the P400S - I would just switch to an ATX motherboard if you do that.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $39.98 @ Newegg
Storage Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $62.49 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case $87.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Amazon
Total $476.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-14 17:05 EDT-0400
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

First of all: Thanks for the help! Yeah I totally overlooked the size of the case! Smaller is better for what im going for! RAM is on the list of future replacements but yeah, if 3000 is essentially the same same cost then why not right? In the end I envisioned having 16gb of some awesome b-die RAM or another that everyone's saying is best with AMD. My choice of SSD was mostly based on ratings of a well known brand and it had 512mb cache as many others had no cache. Is this just superstition on my part? I haven't done much research on SSDs with or without cache either.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No worries, it's easy to do! Spending just a couple bucks more for faster RAM is definitely worth it considering your CPU choice. B-Die is the best for overclocking/setting XMP (or DCOP) but honestly if you won't be doing that, tight timings and fast speed is simply all you need. I always suggest setting XMP at the least though. That way you get the advertised speed because RAM will never automatically go to its advertised speed unless that specific RAM (by model number) is listed on the motherboard QRL list.

For your uses, I really don't think the amount of cache would make a huge difference. Yes! You want some cache, but I wouldn't put a ton of thought and research into it. It's almost difficult to 'fill' an SSDs cache to the point where it begins to throttle (especially if said SSD has a lot of cache) and if you all you'll be doing is gaming, editing and of course, general computer use, I can't imagine that you'll run into a scenario where you fill it up and it slows down.

Now, you should probably know that the 660P is cheap for a reason. The 660P uses QLC NAND so its performance scales with the remaining amount of storage. Basically, the fuller it gets, the slower it gets but you won't actually see a performance difference until about 80% capacity and more. I use a similar SSD in my PC but since it's my boot drive and I have a secondary for my game library, I'm only utilizing like 30% of my 512GB so this doesn't affect me and I consistently get NVMe speeds when transfering files.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points
  • The Micro ATX form factor motherboard may appear a little odd in a mid tower case, so perhaps you could choose the full size version of this motherboard.

• You can get a decent fully modular 650 watt power supply for not much more than the 500 watt semi, with many decent new graphics cards requiring ever more power 650 watts may well save you having to replace in the future.

• 3000 MHz RAM should be about the minimum for Ryzen as it is sensitive to RAM frequency.

• The Sabrent rocket has nearly identical maximum speeds to the Samsung and is $30 cheaper.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $104.99 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $37.99 @ Amazon
Storage Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $59.98 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400S ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $82.85 @ Amazon
Total $496.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-14 17:03 EDT-0400
  • 1 month ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $104.99 @ Amazon
Memory *GeIL EVO POTENZA 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $36.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $59.98 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case $72.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Amazon
Total $460.93
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-14 17:48 EDT-0400
  • 1 month ago
  • 2 points

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kzGhq3 Maximum bang for buck build, 2600+RX 570 which is pretty epic if I do say so myself. Also 3 full dollars under budget. Big epic

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube