add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New 1080P king?

Phoenix_Builder

3 months ago

Click Me! (Tip: Watch first few minutes regarding the 5500)

So, yes or no? Does it seem that it'll work? Will, it beat a 1660 or a 1660Ti? I know it may be hard to say, but based on how the 5700 and 5700XT worked, will it work out the same?

Just looking for opinions.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Based on what we know from the 5700 series its going to be at or below the 1660 just purely on napkin math from the core, memory bus, and cache cut backs.

Which falls in line with AMD's benchmarks positioning it as a 1650 competition not a 1660 competitor.

That puts it somewhere between the 570 and 590 but looking at AMD's benchmarks probably closer to the 570 side of things.

It will be interesting to see if the power efficiency can offset the high thermal density so they can finally have a cheap to build but still cool and quiet running card which NVidia has been doing for several years now at the low end.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I do not see the point in any of the other AMD cards they plan to release. Below the 5700 they have everything already in place. The 590 competes with the 1660, the 570 competes with the 1650. They have nothing that competes with the 1660TI directly but with the 5700 in place for only $30 more you get a card that soundly beats it across the board.

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

I do not see the point in any of the other AMD cards they plan to release.

OEM want the latest and greatest to sell.

GCN in consoles is dying next year.

They need RDNA optimization adopted by developers without having to fund its adoption like they have had to with what titles are out currently.

Below the 5700 they have everything already in place.

Appearances are deceiving.

The 590 competes with the 1660

590 is cheaper and that is the only way it stays competitive, 1660 is slightly faster, lower power draw so can operate cooler and quieter, be built cheaper, and is already end of life with a Super version coming soon.

the 570 competes with the 1650.

It actually beats it pretty much across the board with typical GCN downsides among which AMD needs GCN to go away.

They have nothing that competes with the 1660TI directly but with the 5700 in place for only $30 more you get a card that soundly beats it across the board.

The cards for $30 more are the end of life reference boards that AMD isn't able to sell to board partners anymore now that they allow aftermarket cards.

Board partners would rather just buy the cores and build their own then pay for a prebuilt reference that both AMD and Sapphire are eating up all the profits on.

5500 replaces the older GCN cards forcing RDNA adoption, allows OEM something that isn't a 2 year old 570X/580X/590X refresh of a refresh, and gives them a current option in the market that hasn't seen anything but refreshes from AMD since Polaris launched 3 years ago.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Presumably the 5500 is cheaper to manufacture than the 580 (not to mention the 590, which only makes sense if you need that last little bit of performance). It probably wasn't that hard to go from the 5700 to the 5500 (going to the 5900 won't be as easy unless they double the width of the memory).

Maybe they are tired of GloFo and the 14/12nm process. Perhaps the TSMC 7nm delays aren't a big deal at all. Shipping 5500 means that they are quite satisfied with TSMC's 7nm and willing to switch to a chip 68% of the size at 7nm over the old 14nm part (I'm guessing it the 7nm part is cheaper to manufacture). I've been a fan of the old 480/580 chip, but it looks like it is being put out to pasture.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube