add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSD vs HD

denzcell

3 months ago

Should I invest in a SSD or a HD for saving recordings of gameplay to edit into a video? Pros/Cons? I have 2 SSD's already but they're filled up. Much appreciated.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Saving gameplay recording and editing as a hobby and not for work then a HDD will be just fine. You can also empty some of the data on the SSDs to a HDD so you can use the SSD as a scratch disk while you store the bulk of your files on a HDD.

SSDs are far faster than HDDs but HDDs have better cost per GB. That is the basic difference between them. You can get 8-10Tb HDDs for a decent price these days but good luck getting a 8TB SSD.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Even for work I'd probably recommend the HDD: the more data you have the more you need a HDD (if not tape). Even if you work entirely on SSD/NVMe, you'll want HDDs for archives and backup.

Unless it is something like >>100-1000TB, in which case tape might begin to make sense.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are working on 4k raw video with a bunch of segments and doing it professionally as a job a 2TB high speed NVMe SSD is actually a huge benefit. As you are scrubbing through a timeline a drive that fast can keep up with the needed read speeds of constantly going through many GB of data at once. Sure it won't hold everything but it just needs enough space to hold the current project being worked on. Of course for storage it doesn't matter if it is HDD or SSD. If you do it as a job time is money and being able to get through your tasks quickly will help a lot. For a home user doing it as a hobby it won't matter as much. Though as OP already has 2 SSDs already he can move stuff off the SSDs onto the HDD and use the newly opened space for things that are speed dependant.

I have used my PC for video editing too and I got myself a 240GB SSD as a scratch disk and I still have multiple mechanical HDDs for bulk storage too. I do notice the speed differences from a SATA SSD to a HDD even when working on 1080p 60fps video. It was for this use I chose to get myself the 1800x over the 7700k at the time and with how things progressed I am even happier now on my choice of hardware at the time. Using a SSD as a scratch disk with Adobe Premiere Pro is actually really nice but SSD storage for a video library is just impractical.

I would love to see SSDs pull ahead of HDDs in cost per GB in storage with 10+TB capacities. Technology is advancing still and now we got affordable 1-2TB SSDs when 250GB used to be prohibitively expensive in the past.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube