add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1st attempt at building a PC

glittercake96

2 months ago

I am a complete new beginner in building a PC. I have finished putting all the components into the case. When I turn on the power, the CPU, lights and fans turn on. When I was turning it on yesterday, the ez debug lights came on for the DRAM. I took one of the RAM sticks out. That light went away. The VGA light came on. I took the GPU out and put in back in. The light went away. Then the final light that came on was BOOT. I do have Windows 10 on a USB to try to install it cause that's my next step. (I followed all the steps to download Windows 10 to USB from youtube). Meanwhile, this whole time my monitor will cycle through all of the sources to try to find signal and finally display "no signal". Of course now, this morning turning it on, there are no EZ debug red lights on. The monitor is still displaying "no signal".

My monitor has a single hdmi cord that I plug into the back of the computer. Some people have suggested to plug that cord into the GPU? I see no way of doing that. My only thought is that I could move my USB blue cord to the other spot on the motherboard to see if that is the issue.

I do have some confusion though. My Radeon 5700 xt has pin connectors. Do I just plug in one VGA cord to those two spots on the GPU? Or do I just use two VGA cords? For the PSU, there are slot for VGA 1, VGA 2 and PERIF. I tried connecting the PERIF cord to the PSU but found that nothing else attached to that cord. So I took that cord out. So I have the GPU plugged in to VGA 1 right now.

My issue could be the monitor because I remember now that my relative decided to go into my room for something and knocked the monitor over. (It was still in the packaging but fell onto it's screen screen through the box).

Sorry for the ridiculously long post, I am a complete beginner at this kind of stuff. This is my PC build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/glittercake96/saved/#view=9NxvWZ This is my monitor "Acer Nitro VG271 Pbmiipx 27" Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS Monitor with AMD Radeon FREESYNC Technology, 144Hz, VESA Certified DisplayHDR400, (2 x HDMI 2.0 Ports & 1 x Display Port)"

Thank you so much to any replies in advance.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

My monitor has a single hdmi cord that I plug into the back of the computer. Some people have suggested to plug that cord into the GPU? I see no way of doing that. My only thought is that I could move my USB blue cord to the other spot on the motherboard to see if that is the issue.

So, yes, your HDMI cable needs to go from the monitor directly into the GPU. Ryzen does not have integrated graphics of any kind so of course, you will not get any display signal if the HDMI is plugged into the motherboard rather than the GPU. I am confused about how you mention that 'you see no way of doing that' as the backside of your GPU has (I believe) 2x HDMI and 2x DisplayPort. Which, btw, you're going to want to use DisplayPort if you want your monitor to push a full 144HZ. HDMI isn't capable of doing so.

I do have some confusion though. My Radeon 5700 xt has pin connectors.

Also, yes, you will want to plug in all of the cables. Those pin-connections you're looking at on your GPU is for power delivery. PCIe doesn't provide enough power for that GPU to run so it requires an additional connection. All required cables should be included with your PSU.

I made the same mistake in my first build which had a Ryzen CPU. I built everything before my GPU came in and I was up all night, freaking out because my monitor had no signal. I must've messed with it for 3 or 4 hours until I decided to post my issue on the forums here and going to bed. Woke up with an answer.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much for the reply. I was freaking out and stressing out over this build and if I did something wrong. I'm such a beginner that I'm learning new things everyday because my friends didn't want me to get a prebuilt. I think I picked up the GPU and couldn't find a HDMI port. Maybe I didn't look hard enough or overlooked it. Do you think it should just be 1 VGA cable with two connectors to the GPU or two separate cords?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

No worries, more than likely that is your issue with the display. You made a wise choice building your own but it's most definitely a learning experience. You'll get it down soon enough, it's actually quite easy - just a little intimidating at first.

You'll definitely find the ports on the side of the GPU. Sometimes they have small plugs to keep out dust and what not. I typically leave these in besides the port(s) that I'm using. That could be why you didn't see them.

It won't require the same cables because one looks like a 4+2 and the other a 3+2. Again, those should have come with the PSU but for the 4+2, you might have a split cable. One end will obviously plug into the PSU and the other end will be a 2+2 with another 2+2 piggybacked on. If that makes sense... lol.

Like this (picture 4)

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812304069?Description=psu%20cables&cm_re=psu_cables-_-12-304-069-_-Product

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You helped me solve my problem! Thank you so much!!! My problem was plugging the HDMI cord to the motherboard port instead of the Radeon GPU HDMI port. You saved my sanity!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, enjoy and have fun. Get yourself a DisplayPort cable so you can take advantage of that 144hz.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube