add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best CPU for cooking pancakes

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 6 points

An overclocked FX-8320/8350 from early batches would probably be the best CPU option for this.

Lots of people saying "9590" but really... the 9590 is a "binned" part with reasonable leakage and power scaling characteristics.

An high leakage 8320/8350 set to ~1.5V and 4.5+GHZ is a 300-400W hotplate ;)

Ideas for improvement:

1. Place a peltier device between the CPU and Pan to allow more watts to be extracted within operating temps while achieving higher pan temps.

2. Actually fasten the pan down.

3. Machine the bottom of the pan flat.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

9590 did it better for cheaper.

2990WX would have done better if it didn't keep throttling and locked out.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

What about the Xeon W-3175X? Intel DID pitch it as a HEDT solution for a little bit

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Tomshardware used hardware they had laying around in case they killed/broke something like happened with the 2990WX/X399.

The pancakes started to bubble in a more even fashion than they did on the 9980XE, and we got excited. That was, until the system shut off. Each time we turned it back on, there would be another error code, or it would shut down before it could get back to the desktop.

The VRM coolers were hot to the touch, so we grabbed the Noctua NF-S12A fan again to cool them down. But that didn’t cool anything down enough to get the computer to start up again.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-amd-hedt-pancakes,6366.html

They already have samples confirmed for next generation parts on those platforms so its basically obsolete paperweights for them.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I agree with the FX 9590 the absolute worst Ripoff AMD has ever pulled.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Tom's might also be looking to buy a new CPU when the Black Friday deals roll around.

The Threadripper build also crashed and then refused to boot again. I'm a bit concerned that the CPU and/or motherboard may have gone to the great hardware party in the sky

The pancake winner is Intel. Use this information how you will.

I laughed a bit harder than I should have at these comments. Though I agree, the FX 9590 would give both those CPUs a run for their money when it comes to the power bill.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

The new 400W Xeon might do better

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

that the one that needs almost all the top of mobo for vrm and power input right?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

How about an old chip without thermal shutdown/throttling features?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Did the Pentium 4 have clock throttling? That was always a good one for extra heating. Of course the hot parts shouldn't get any hotter when overclocked: Intel used logic reminiscent of ECL logic which wasn't dependent on clockspeed (which meant it idled hot).

Bulldozer is probably the easiest to source right now. But you might get a decent used big Xeon (which would have been a reasonable temperature when made, but with enough cores it should get pretty hot. Difficulty: I think they are all clock-locked).

I remember Digital doing an Alpha in ECL, but I suspect that was only a research project (possibly I was hearing about the Pegasus). Early (.25um) Itanium prototypes earned the name "smoking brick of death", if you somehow acquired one of these it would be ideal (something like 400W).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube