add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Predictions for next year's Nvidia cards?

davidupatterson
  • 4 months ago

Hey all,

Lots of people skipped this generation of Nvidia graphics cards, thinking they didn't provide enough value. What are your thoughts on what next year's GPU release (tentative) will be like?

• Will we get a significant boost (40% or more) in the high-end space? A 3080ti at a similar price point as the 2080ti?

• How about in the mid-range space? Now that AMD is bringing the heat, will we see 2080ti performance in the $400-$600 range - i.e a 3070 Super?

It's fun to speculate, especially for those who didn't pull the trigger on this year's generation of cards. What do you think we're going to see?

P.S. I'm wondering if these are going to drop around April, to coincide with the release of Cyberpunk 2077, which might be a good marketing strategy.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

It seems as if AMD is having trouble fighting a two front war. Before Ryzen they were doing great GPU wise and for gaming really the only time Nvidia cards were chosen were for flagship cards i.e the 980 Ti which is a market that AMD has not being competitive in forever and that is unlikely to change which is sad since imo flagship cards are what sells normal cards, sorta like halo cars selling normal cars. Once AMD does good on front they fall behind on the other and this time they are behind on GPU's. Nvidia is holding the cards here so I would say don't hold breath if you are looking for a large boost.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I had the same thought. Maybe too many hands in too many pots at the moment. They're having trouble keeping up with stock in with both their CPU's and GPU's as well, I've noticed.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Since NVIDIA and AMD released new cards. I'd Expcet NVIDIA to milk the super cards for sometime. I wouldnt be surprised if NVIDIA doesnt realese a card till 2021 in the spring.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I agree, no big changes coming soon, only incremental updates for a while.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Very well could be. 2020 would be on track (per the intervals between previous generations) for their next release, but if they don't have any real competition across the majority of their products, they may not push it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I’m not sure why they would release anything new. NAVI just came out and has driver issues and basically just challenges the RTX 2070 super. AMD doesn’t have anything to compete with the 2080 or let along the 2080TI. So, this super is basically a Band-Aid to hold off for another year or a year and half. This is of course all IMO. Also, they still need to release more games that support Ray Tracing.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I believe Turing was also a test-flight for one of Nvidia's long-term objectives of beating Intel in the ridiculous product name category. Although think RTX 3680 Super Ti Ultra Founders Edition may still roll off the tongue a bit easier than whatever Intel has in store for us, so there's probably more room for improvement extra numbers & letters here and there.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

😛

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Will we get a significant boost (40% or more) in the high-end space? A 3080ti at a similar price point as the 2080ti?

Probably not if the rumors are correct about it being a simple refresh on 7nm.

How about in the mid-range space? Now that AMD is bringing the heat, will we see 2080ti performance in the $400-$600 range - i.e a 3070 Super?

AMD has yet to bring any heat.

They have two newels models that are above mainstream and under enthusiast range. And several year old models.

Vega was more heat then Navi being able to compete with the 1080, Navi only threatened the 2070 a sad step down in competitiveness.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

"AMD has yet to bring any heat."

Really? My impression is that almost everyone is picking up a 5700xt rather than a 2070 Super, which is kind of the heart of the mid-range space. I chose the latter because I'm gaming in 4k but in 1080/1440p, I would have gone AMD for sure. I think most people realize that Ray tracing (especially with the mid range cards) is not viable yet.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Most people pick that card for its lower price tag for the slightly lower performance.

But it still doesn't end up pushing the performance.

Now NVidia has the 2070S, 2080, 2080S, 2080ti that AMD can't compete with in outright unbiased performance so those models don't get priced competitively. And below that point they trade blows with the 1660 and beat the 1650 with the older 590/570 both of which are old Polaris cards.

That leaves the 5700/5700XT only competitive against the 2060S since the 2060 had its pricing cut and the 2070 was canceled.

Vega there was only the 1080ti that AMD couldn't compete with.

The market is not nearly as competitive as it was the last few years despite all the Navi hype and ignoring ray tracing.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

That's true, but I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the 2080 and 2080S weren't selling that well since they don't really hold a pivotal spot in the lineup. At least from my perspective, the only Nvidia cards that really make sense are the 2070S and the 2080ti.

Though....I do still think that the 5700XT is a real competitor in terms of Nvidia sales. Though it doesn't objectively compete with the 2070 Super, it's the card that subjectively looks like a much better deal for the majority of gamers.

I'll be curious to see what Nvidia thinks, which will be represented in next year's lineup.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

it's the card that subjectively looks like a much better deal for the majority of gamers.

Majority of gamers buy cards under $300 though. Even the normal 5700 starts at $360 for aftermarket cards, well the 2060 has been dropping to that $300 price point.

Navi is in a bad place currently with them offering neither top end performance or addressing the majority of the market like Polaris did.

Why I said that AMD still hasn't brought any "Heat" to the market.

Tons of hype from people who need a competition to make content promoting the most competitive products, but at the same time Vega was more competitive in its time because AMD had competition almost across the board not like now with "We have the 570 (Best budget card out currently bar none) and a bunch of cards that don't really matter to most people."

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You're right about that - they still can't compete in the low and high end, and the majority of users do buy lower end cards.

Perhaps I should have said, "now that AMD is bringing the heat in the mid range space" which looks to be the case, at least from my perspective.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Some might see it that way. But I think the general consensus (from my research) has been that it's not worth the extra $200+ for the 10% (or less) bump up in performance.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Porting a chip from TSMC's 12nm to Samsung's? 7+nm is hardly a simple "refresh". You might still be able to call the thing "Turing", but it will hardly be a simple refresh.

Every AMD card sold is a lost sale for Nvidia (although thanks to AMD's low performance, some of those lost sales might have been used 1080s or similar). Vega7 was sold at cost/or a loss, they weren't making more than they had to. There don't seem to be such supply issues for Navi: if you want one go buy one (and forum users seem to be doing just that). Thanks to the mining market, Vega56/64 barely had to compete with nvidia: if the coins they minted were worth more than the card, the card would sell regardless of how "competitive" it was.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Porting a chip from TSMC's 12nm to Samsung's? 7+nm is hardly a simple "refresh". You might still be able to call the thing "Turing", but it will hardly be a simple refresh.

NVidia has already confirmed they have validated Turing on both TSMC and Samsung processes. So it is as simple as porting the existing designs to the newer processes.

There don't seem to be such supply issues for Navi: if you want one go buy one (and forum users seem to be doing just that).

The aftermarket models are still struggling with supply issues because AMD is supplying a good part of the production as reference models.

Thanks to the mining market, Vega56/64 barely had to compete with nvidia: if the coins they minted were worth more than the card, the card would sell regardless of how "competitive" it was.

And that doesn't change that AMD is giving up more of the market and is offering less features now as opposed to then.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Will we get a significant boost (40% or more) in the high-end space? A 3080ti at a similar price point as the 2080ti?

Maxwell -> Pascal was an anomaly where GTX 1070 traded blows with previous gen Titan X. It is normal to expect a shift up one model, i.e. RTX 3080 <-> RTX 2080 TI and so on. 20% maybe 25%. Perhaps they will focus more on improving the Raytracing side and bring a larger percentage increase there.

How about in the mid-range space? Now that AMD is bringing the heat, will we see 2080ti performance in the $400-$600 range - i.e a 3070 Super?

I expect AMD to be more a factor next gen. They are responsible for the hardware of the upcoming Xbox and PS5. Numerous sources I have read have indicated that graphical fidelity of these consoles will exceed a PC equipped with a 2080TI. AMD surely have a 2080TI beating GPU in R&D. With AMD now arguably the number 1 performer in the CPU market only a fool would write them off on the GPU side. I expect them to either tie or beat Nvidia the next generation, that is if rumors around the PS5 are correct. Or it could all be pie in the sky. Intel are also lined up to test the GPU market with their own products although I am not expecting much from them.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Numerous sources I have read have indicated that graphical fidelity of these consoles will exceed a PC equipped with a 2080TI. AMD surely have a 2080TI beating GPU in R&D.

Console graphics use a different scale and don't require as much performance as PC graphics.

Even the One X runs less performance then a desktop RX 570 between thermal/power limits and using an older GCN architecture.

With development kits already shipping they are using a current architecture so a underclocked 5700/5700XT is going to be the max they can pull off since they are not majorly increasing the power envelope of the console.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the PS5 will have raytracing capability though. Perhaps in that case a variant of the 5700XT with Ray Tracing cores. Hard to see how the next gen consoles will be 4K 60fps even with development advantages of a dedicated consistent platform. That likely being the case as you suggest, if AMD had a 2080TI killer right now it would be on the market. It is not therefore...

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD's ray tracing doesn't require any changes to existing architectures so even the current consoles can offer that feature if it can be tuned down enough to run on the older hardware.

https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/radeon-rays/

I definitely was expecting something with a little more oomph than a 5700XT.

Isn't really possible giving the thermal and power limits of the consoles since you're basically having to run a 2700X+Navi GPU+SSD+16gb GDDR6 with less power and thermal headroom then an aftermarket 5700XT has available.

Edit: All on an internal power supply as well if the rumors are true.

Since we know what CPU and GPU architecture they are using along with the thermal and power limitations of the package end performance isn't hard to figure out.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Since we know what CPU and GPU architecture they are using along with the thermal and power limitations of the package end performance isn't hard to figure out.

Which makes me sort of worried that next gen is not really next gen at all. More powerful than Xbox One X but a whole generation leap ahead? Nope, I do not see it. 4K 60fps with what is Ryzen 2nd gen CPU and a 5700XT equivalent GPU is doable with racing games sure. I have a hard time seeing a next gen Assassin's Creed Title or the next Ghost Recon getting anywhere near 60fps at 4K, not without tanking settings.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

More powerful than Xbox One X but a whole generation leap ahead?

One X uses first generation Polaris so its more like three generation old, better then the S though that's using something like six gen old GPU tech.

Just to put some perspective on just how much of a leap the next generation would be even with a massively underclocked 2700X+5700XT to fit within power limits.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Ray tracing is rumored to be coming to PS5, and I think it's probably a pretty safe bet. AMD will be jumping on the bandwagon.

That being said, I can't imagine people being okay with frame rates dropping below a consistent 30fps, and so ray tracing architecture is either going to have to mature/improve or the hardware used is going to have to exceed that of their current flagship cards.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I would be very surprised to see 2080ti level performance in either of the upcoming consoles.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

NVIDIA is likely going to focus on the mainstream buyers. We could see a GTX 1660ti SUPER or even an RTX 2050 SUPER to combat AMDs upcoming offerings

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

That's probably a good bet. It doesn't make much financial sense to focus on fringe buyers.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like we may be getting new cards in the first half of next year.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-next-generation-ampere-7nm-graphics-cards-landing-1h-2020/

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I think NVIDIA will continue to stagnate the consumer GPU market as they control the overwhelmingly vast majority of GPU sales and still make up the majority of new GPU sales, despite AMD's good price to performance cards in the lower and mid range.

AMD is not in the financial position to over take NVIDIA's dominance in the GPU market. Both sides know this, there's a reason why AMD has been trying to infiltrate the high end market as it is the most profitable but usually release feeling "unpolished".

Lots of people skipped this generation of NVIDIA graphics cards, thinking they didn't provide enough value. What are your thoughts on what next year's GPU release (tentative) will be like?

I certainly did, next time i buy a new GPU it will either be AMD or in a post " ray tracing " era.

That being said i hope AMD continues to fight the good fight because no monopoly lasts forever.

Most likely not, no real incentive to do so. Although it is possible a 3080ti will be the same price as a 2080ti if not higher.

NVIDIA will probably continue to dominate this sector of the market for a while and i believe the next generation of cards will have around the same performance as the card next up on the tier from the previous gen ( like how the 2080 is about the same as the 1080ti in performance ) for either the same price or for higher.

It's fun to speculate, especially for those who didn't pull the trigger on this year's generation of cards. What do you think we're going to see?

The same as what happened with the 20 series.

I hope AMD uses its recent success with their CPU market especially with Ryzen to end up dominating the CPU space then moving on to tackle the green giant in the GPU space. One thing AMD has is they are the only major competitor in both the CPU and GPU spaces at the moment.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube