add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows is expensive

Erdokken
  • 7 months ago

This isn't a very serious thing but why is windows 10 so god damn expensive? Like right now in Canada It's almost 200$ when it was like 120 about a month ago. Even 120 seems like a lot. I know there's other cheaper ways of getting it but we aren't aloud to mention that here so yeah.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

An operating system is like a mattress: you invest in it because you will use it nearly every day (or night).

Why are mattresses so expensive? The manufacturers know that you will pay for it because you need it.

However, a mattress, like Windows, isn't for everyone. Some people don't need a bed and prefer to use a hammock or a mat just as some people don't need the features that Windows offers, like greater videogame, application, and utility support.

Most Linux-based distributions are free and offer a similar level of productivity and media-consumption software and, on the other end of the spectrum, Apple offers their own operating systems that are only available for their respective products. At the end of the day, this is their price and you will probably pay it.

• 5 months ago
  • 0 points

Apple offers their own operating systems that are only available for their respective products

So sure 'bout that?

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Just go with Gnu/Linux

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I would but I know those options are much more complicated to set up properly and as much I would love something free like that the support for windows and it's much more simple setup process makes it a much better option for me. Also one of my main games that I play just recently dropped support for linux.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Operating systems on the scale of your daily use Linux distro, MacOS, or Windows, are incredibly complex, built on decades of R&D knowledge, adapted for new technologies, with constant bug fixes and security patches. And like any product, you have to have distribution channels, which in this case includes the Microsoft Store, their website, various digital authorized resellers, B2B work with OEMs, and even physical retailers. Oh, and don't forget servers for updates, license handling, and various features of the OS from obvious ones like the store to less obvious features sometimes hidden or not on by default.

That's a lot of cost.

Now if retailers are trying to get away with charging above MSRP for Windows keys, you can just buy straight from Microsoft.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I can see Microsoft raising their prices to the stratosphere to drive people towards subscriptions rather then buying Windows.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm using Windows on my gaming PC at home and Linux on my work laptop. If Microsoft makes Windows subscription only I'll switch my gaming PC over to Linux too. Steam has done a lot to make Linux more accessible for gaming. For browsing and productivity I actually prefer Linux.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

My complaint is you price all the parts for a PC and look at pre builts, and you realize the builders get a big break on windows. I think that makes a lot of people not build PCs. $100us is not bad price, just seems like they are keeping the wholesale model alive while in the real world its about gone...or maybe they don't like people building PCs. Seems like diy market would be pretty small, I mean the PC market isn't what it used to be.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube