add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thermal Paste in Motherboard AMD4 Socket

ChristianMX
  • 7 months ago

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tet1q4tumFB3jDcBskxsszbKQTzGNXKB Is that little bit of thermal paste on the socket (barley any, gotta zoom in to see it) going to be an issue? If at all? If so, how do I remove it? This is the thermal paste I've used. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6RrG3C/arctic-silver-thermal-paste-as535g

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Shouldn't be an issue, the only two possibilities are:

Does it short two pins (can't see it squishing out enough and linking the next door pin)?

Can it physically block the pin? No, not going to happen here (and typically I'd fear a short first).

I guess it might be possible to spread out and insulate the chip from the socket on that pin, but generally speaking anything that conducts heat conducts electricity (diamond is probably the least exotic material that only conducts heat). I know I have a larger bit of thermal paste in my socket (I bought the motherboard open box), and really didn't worry about it as it won't short two pins. How in the world did you (and the guy who had mine earlier) manage this?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It was verified by Gigabyte through a RMA that everything is fine but I just wanted a second opinion. Don't want that little bit of thermal paste to be an issue

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Is that little bit of thermal paste on the socket (barley any, gotta zoom in to see it) going to be an issue?

Problem is You don't know how much is under the socket and if it is bridging pins or not.

Artic silver is only non-conductive when the silver particles are properly suspended in the solution in that state it will keep the pin from transferring any data, when particles are in contact with each other they can carry current and can short the pin, and the paste itself is capacitive so it will store power until that pin is no longer charged and discharge along the pin it is in contact with.

All three of which will interfere with an operating system.

If so, how do I remove it?

Flush the socket out with something that will break down the binding solution like high percentage rubbing alcohol just like used to clean off the paste normally.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube