add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooling Options for my Build

SpikeBender

3 days ago

Hi all, I could use some advice on what cooling option I should pursue for my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SpikeBender/saved/#view=VNk7TW. I am conflicted from getting a 360 AIO water cooler for the top of the case or going with 2 200m Noctua's for the top. Opinions?

Comments

• 3 days ago
  • 1 point
  • Unless you just really want liquid cooling, the stock cooler would do just fine. There isn't much overclocking headroom on Zen 2 CPUs anyway. I do understand the want for an AIO though so considering the rest of your list and the price point, it wouldn't be too crazy to go ahead and get one. I have one on my 2700X at stock speeds lol.

• Why a 1070 for that price? You could get a reference 2070 SUPER for that price. The 2070 would smoke a 1070.

• PSU is definitely overkill even if OCing. A 750W is more than enough. Even a 650W would be okay.

• I'm not sure of your exact uses but have you considered all SSD storage? Maybe a 500GB NVMe + 2TB SATA SSD?

• 3 days ago
  • 1 point

A majority of the parts are already in hand.

Yeah, the CPU comes with the wraith prism; wouldn't make too much sense to just throw it out, to replace it for a AIO. The only other option I can think of is the 2 Noctuna fans as exhaust fans on the top.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

I'd get a better air cooler (one of the large ~$50 scythe's for example) and leave the case fans as they are, you have the 120mm for exhaust and adding 2 more 200mm's at the top will give you negative case pressure so you'd be sucking in dust through all the little gaps and cracks.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

xPat, if I forgo the included Wraith Prism and replace it with another CPU cooler; wouldn't it make more sense to go with a water cooling AIO?

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

Not really, there's many variables ofc (aesthetics, budget etc etc) but you'll often find a good air cooler can match the performance of many aio's.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

For the 6 and 8 core Ryzens, the Wraith is good enough. If you are worried about noise then get a $30-50 air cooler.

IMHO you don't need extra fans, but I'm not super familiar with that case.

You need a decent gold 650W PSU at most. It seems to be a common thing on this forum that everyone wants a 850-1200w PSU for a build that will realistically draw 400-500w max.

Save money on extravagant cooling and PSU and put it towards a better GPU, say a 2070 super or a 5700xt.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

I bought the 1070 a year ago. So it will be there for another year or 2. That being said, in your opinion, is there anything else I could concentrate on for my build?

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

Just that you could save some money by getting a 650w PSU, using the stock cooler, and using the fans that came with the case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube