add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Good budget monitor for rx580 (144hz or not)

Mister_Fantastic
  • 8 months ago

Been searching the web for a solid answer, but only been reading very vague responses. Im new to pc gaming and want a good monitor that’s compatible with the rx580. I am going to definitely upgrade to the 1660ti later this year, so preferably a monitor that’s compatible both GPUs (freesync). Is a 144hz monitor overkill?

I don’t stream, I’m a casual gamer, and mainly play single player, rpg games, but play multiplayer games every now and then (not hardcore multiplayer)

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm completely unsold on high refresh gaming (then again my eyes are much older than the esports set), but it seems that monitors only exist in 60Hz, 144Hz, and 244Hz, so if you want >60Hz fps you need a 144Hz monitor. Freesync is unlikely to be needed at the resolutions you are using, but probably a help for a 60Hz monitor (and shouldn't really increase the price).

I'd look first at size and resolution. A high refresh is typically only important in things like esports where knowing the position of an enemy that very millisecond becomes important, and somewhat helps when rotating quickly while whatever you are focusing on (such as an enemy player) is moving in another direction from the background (the cannonical example is the opening scene in Oblivion. As an old game, you could play it at ~30Hz, but expect the opening sequence to be jarring as the front towers moved much faster than the background [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGERPMvw0C0 1:25-1:40]).

Dropping down to 60Hz will let you choose an IPS monitor over a TN one. This should (in theory, check reviews of the monitor in question) allow for more accurate colors at a cost of refresh in gaming. At 60Hz the issues mentioned above should be barely visible, but a slight disadvantage in esports.

Going up to 2560x1440 could easily double the price (but going with the unreviewed https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9B66Mp/aoc-q3279vwfd8-315-2560x1440-60hz-monitor-q3279vwfd8 might well also double the size and pixels, so perhaps a good value), and neither video card is likely to be held back by the 60Hz limit (it should be better for non-gaming desktop tasks, RPG, and possibly single player games).

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the very informative response brother! You explained it better than all the articles I've read. So basically 144hz/high refresh is mainly for the competitive gamers? I think I'll definitely go with the 60hz =]

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

If anything go for a 75hz 1ms VA monitor.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

What budget?

Here are a few noteworthy budget oriented monitors with FreeSync:

LG 24MP59G-P: Barely more expensive than generic 24" panels, this one is IPS and 75Hz. It's the cheapest monitor I usually recommend for gaming.

MSI MAG241C: 144Hz and VA with a quick response time.

AOC Q3279VWFD8: Cheap 1440p IPS 75Hz display. Also 32".

LG 29WK600: For that ultrawide game.

At around the $300 mark you start getting into budget 1440p 144Hz VA panels, but I suspect that's not the desired price tag.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube