add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I need some answers for upgrading to 3700x from b450

Frugert
  • 7 months ago

I’m looking to upgrade to the 3700x soon. I currently have a b450 gaming pro carbon motherboard. I have some questions on the process of swapping to 3rd gen and on the compatibility of features.

1. Do I need to update the bios, then take out my current cpu, and then install new? Or should I update bios, remove cpu, put in new cpu and do a fresh windows install?
  2. Can the motherboard VRMs etc handle the 3700x?
  3. Will the AutoOC and PBO features work with my b450 motherboard?
  4. I should the included cooler better than my DeepCool gammas GT?
  5. Is a 600W PSU capable of supporting an undervolted vega 64 and a 3700x, with autoOC if possible.
  6. Are there any other issues I should know about? Or possible problems that may arise?

Thanks beforehand. I just want to get this right before I go spending money for it not to work correctly.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You definitely need to upgrade the bios before changing chips. You might even have to use an "intermediate" bios in some cases before flashing the final bios.

All the power issues depend on your motherboard choice. If you could overclock a 2700X (or simply run it at peak boost when appropriate), you shouldn't have issues with a 3700X. If you were barely running a 2600, things might be not work so well.

PBO appears to be functional in MSI's B450 Tomahawk motherboard: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cdabjo/3600x_msi_b450_tomahawk_pbo_testing/ Don't know how often this will be true.

Looks like the coolers have pretty similar performance. Keep the DeepCool if you want RGB.

At stock clocks, the pcpartpicker reports 300W for the system. Undervolted vega64 shouldn't add much more than 100Ws to that, and pushing Ryzens doesn't seem to be all that effective (BPO seems to work as well as overclocking, and that should keep it within thermal limits). If you are buying new, you might want to bump it up a little, but I wouldn't replace a 600W supply until I at least saw what was involved in overclocking (and how much headroom your specific chip has).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube